Fly Tying
Jimboha!

Stillwater Blob Flies Swap!

If you used aftershaft feathers you would end up with the original (no collar) Gartside Wet Mouse.

Afraid my blobs lost there boobies. So my blobs are hot orange glitter with fox tail, I prefer these to the marabou tails. Size 8.

If the stockies in my parts hit these as hard as I have been reading, a marabou tail would not last long, nor a body made of aftershaft feathers......... enough typing, back to tying blobs!

Yeah, you're right. The marabou doesn't last long and gets all shredded. But then I ususally find that fish like that beat-up look over a a fresh, new fly.

As I said, the all marabou version (might not be called 'Blob') worked well- first cast was a monster strike. I had given it to my brother-in-law and watch him cast and saw the strike. Fly was gone! He said that he forgot to check the knot, but I think it wasn't the knot that gave. Anyway, I also like that pattern but can't remember exactly how it was tied.

Jim

Well, I made an order for the real "blob fritz" to England yesterday. Got combined shipping so it wasn't too bad. If these are as good as they seem to be, at least until the dummies get educated, I'm going to try to get back up to the lakes I used to fish in northern MN and see if I can't put a hurt on those 'bows. I used to catch my share of them and used almost nothing but a simple, small Muddler. Worked fine but these blobs might tear 'em up. And even tho some consider these a "stilwater fly" I'm going to give them a shot in the White River when I get back there this year. No reason river fish should be different than lake fish and the bulk of White fish are stockers, with a good mix of carryovers of course.

Certainly not too long for me. I would look to trim if needed when fishing but that's not too long to start.

Hmm, maybe a little shorter, both tail and body. I can't see your head - they should have a good head on them. But, certainly fishable!

Jimboha!

This will be my first Blob fly can someone tell me what brand and model hook they are using i am tying size 10

As others have also asked this question, I'll give my answer:

I've used a variety of hooks - don't go for those hard-to-get (and expensive) British ones. As a result my blobs don't always look the same as the ones you will see (sometimes they're a little longer, like Evan's [Ebrant10]).

A good hook is Umpqua U501 (egg hook) works well in 8 or 10.

(See http://www.ebay.com/itm/140717907378 ) I'm fixin' to order some as I can't find enough of the same hook/size for this swap.

Other egg or scud hooks will often work. You're looking for something short, strong, straight- or maybe up-eye.

In a pinch I've also used Mustad 3906, both 8 and 10. A little longer than optimum, but makes up for the down-eye. On those hooks I often also use a colored cone head to match the tail color. Or brass (bead) with black fritz. Unless I don't want the weight.

Like everything I experience in fly tying: if you don't have the exact material, improvise with something similar.

Jimboha!

Yes - last slot. You want in? You're in! What do you plan to tie?

Looks like our swap is full, so I'm closing it. Not accepting any more tyers.

Jimboha