Fly Tying
Jimboha!

Stillwater Blob Flies Swap!

More Blobs! SullyTM's Left Coast Blobs are mightly fine looking! It's interesting - it looks like nearly half of the blob patterns in this swap have orange.

I'm looking forward to receiving the rest - when you're done. I know that the rest of you will be very happy to see thse blobs, too!

Jimboha!

As you know I did have other colors but the orange was what I had 2 packs of. The Sunburst I really wanted they were out of. After playing with some more Fritz and ties, I wish I'd have used a longer shank hook versus the steelhead beak hooks I used. You had me so worried about the vicious strikes you get with them I went with a good hook I've landed fish over 10# with easily. Playing with a curved shanks 2x long #10 hook I could get some nice 2-tone flies with a marabou tail and still have room for a decent head finish. I guess that's how we learn and get progressively better in ties as we go along.

Yes, precisely! But interestingly, I started with a longer shank hook and evolved to a shorter shank. We only have a few more weeks until the swap will be completed and you'll receive all the other blobs. Then you can fish them all and compare effectiveness.

Jimboha!

Yeah, well I felt delayed haha, they have been done for almost a month, just sitting on the table, I tied them right after I joined the swap ... oh well they will be to you soon, sorry if they aren't the greatest, I bet they will still catch some bream though haha

FLIES ARRIVED: I have recieved blobs from SCOwens (olive blobs) and from SpinninBugs (hot pink! Grrrrrrr-ooowWWW!) .

It looks like I'm still waiting for flies from EBrant10 and benmz. No rush - we still have over two weeks left in the swap.

Evan, Ben - you guys doing OK?

Jimboha!

Wifey sent mine out on Wednesday. You should be getting them early this week. If you haven't already.

I'll be watching for them, but I am out of town until Thursday. Likely they will be held by the Post Office and I shall pick them up on Friday.

Same info for any others that have have recently been sent.

Jimboha!

Even more blobs! In fact, I think we have received the rest. From benmz and EBrant10. both flame orange. I shall sort them and package them this evening so I can have then back out in the mail tomorrow!

Quite the variety of blobs. This is going to be fun!

Jimboha!

Glad to have broadened your horizons! The quality of all the flies in this swap is high. You'll all see them soon!

Jimboha!

I have all the blobs re-distributed and packaged up! I will get them to the post office tomorrow morning. You should all see them soon.

Some notes:

1. VicRider sent an extra fly for everyone. According to him: "A friend of mine says anyone fishes a blob would fish a worm. So I threw in a San Juan Worm version [that] outfishes any other."

2. The blobs are beautiful! Lots of flame orange and other bright colors. You might consider starting a new (opaque) fly box for these guys. Anyone who sees these might think you are fishing with, ulp, lures.

3. No Delivery Confirmation: Although I offered to ship with DC, I just plain ran out of time*. I hope you don't mind.

Thank you all for all the extras and the material! I'm almost ashamed to see just how many there are! It will take me quite a while to fish all of these!

Jimboha!

*We just got back from a week-long house-hunting mission in Utah. We found one we really liked and basically wasted the week in futile negotiations! House on the market for 10 months at the same asking price. Seller countered with less than 1% reduction in price and would not negotiate meanigfully but stalled incessantly. Sorry for the sob story... And to think I did not take my fishing gear to hit the Provo River!

Thanks for the update Jimbo and i cant wait to check out these Blobs, sorry to hear about the house search results. I am a realtor here in Austin myself and 1 thing that I have found that has worked for me through the years in negotiating contract as a buyers agent is putting a deadline on your offer, have your realtor write a deadline in special provisions; that usually works and it may prevent the seller from shopping offers. Hope that helps!