Fly Tying
Jimboha!

Stillwater Blob Flies Swap!

Thanks for the update Jimbo and i cant wait to check out these Blobs, sorry to hear about the house search results. I am a realtor here in Austin myself and 1 thing that I have found that has worked for me through the years in negotiating contract as a buyers agent is putting a deadline on your offer, have your realtor write a deadline in special provisions; that usually works and it may prevent the seller from shopping offers. Hope that helps!

Oh, yeah, had deadlines. They kept saying , "We're reviewing your offer." But came back with the SAME counter each time. Just tell me "This is my final offer" instead of saying, "Willing to negotiate. I'm thinking about your offer." Looks like we'll just build...

Evan,

There must be a bee-line route from my post office to your house! You seem to get stuff super-fast even with simple First Class mail.

See any blobs you think will work on your PA trout?

Jim

Blobs showed up in my mail today also. They look great. I have access to a float tube this spring/summer, can't wait to try them out on my local lakes. Thanks to all!

Steve

Ditto here, I always seem to get the flies before the other swappers. Got two sets today actually, this one and a smallmouth swap.

Question on the foam butts that a couple of you guys tied in...Basically... Why?Does floating it butt up do something?

I'm not very experienced fishing these, so tell me what to do. I was planning on using them on a sinking line on trout in a lake. Family is taking a vacation on Hebgen lake near Yellowstone this summer. I guess that lake is crawling with trout, but we're all stream fishermen mostly, so I'm building sinking tips for our lines.

(Jimbo Hebgen lake is really close to ID...this isn't too far from you maybe? Help me out here fishing style wise...)

Box of Blobs arrived today. Thanks Jim for hosting, this was interesting. I am wondering if I couldn't use the orange ones as an egg pattern for Steelhead. I think these will be good flies for my granddaughter to fish. cool.png

Just got mine today as well, they all look very nice; i am like natedubay in that i dont have any experience fishing any of these patterns so any help would be appreciated.

I haven't fished them either, which is one of the reasons I was interested in the swap. When I tried to find info about Blobs, one of the techniques I read about was stripping fast while using a sinking line. The foam, whether in the arse, or in the front as booby eyes, adds action to the fly. The Blob wants to slowly levitate up in between strips.

There was a little bit about another method of fishing Blobs in this post also.

I always like trying new methods and the easiest fishing for me to get to after work are lakes that are well stocked with Rainbows each year so I am eager to try them out.

Wow! Almost half of you got your flies in two days!

Fishing blobs: As SSC said, strip them on sinking line, usually fast, but switch it up. The foam arse adds to the bobbing action, and causes the quickly-stripped blob to turbulate/bubble (like a bass popper) to catch attention. I've also had success in lakes with native fish just slowly stripping them on the surface, or just below. Like every fly, there's the right away to fish blobs, and many othjer ways work when the right way doesn't. The fish seem to hit these pretty quick once they hit the water, or later, when the trout suddenly figure out that they are going to miss out.

I haven't tried them on rivers, but have heard that they can work there, too. Perhps just different enough for the curious trout to sample.

In any case, over in th UK these gusy are used in competitions and may feel they should be banned, because they are so effective .... oh, and distinctly non-buglike.

This has been a fun swap, but we won't call it over until everyone else has received their blobs.

Jimboha!

Thanks SSC and Jimbo, that makes sense. I threw them in the sink and liked how the conehead foam arse fly sat up at the bottom. I think that one will work for carp as well. I plan on swinging the orange blobs for steelhead as well.

Anyone else have advice?

Nate,

While Hebgen lake is just outside Idaho in Montana, it is on the opposite side of the state - a mere 410 miles from my house... And I don't usually fish lakes as large as that. Check out your map for Thirty Three Lake (33 acres), Cly Lake, Hum Lake, Duck Lack, Prince Lakes, all in Lick Creek Summit area above McCall, or Boulder lake, Rapid Lake, just below McCall. Many of the ones I fish you can almost cast (ahem, with a spin-rod) all the way across.

I don't use sinking lines much, rather just add some split shot, or use a heavier bead-head fly (streamer, etc). I often use a tandem, all combinations, and even 3 or 4 flies. Idaho allows 5 hooks per line..., but you better be one ace caster to not end up with a tangled mess piercing multiple parts of your anatomy.

Dries work well: elk hair caddis, (all sizes, BIGGER in fall; as stimulators, and terrestrials (hoppers, mostly) I like to drop a black wooly bugger below a large yellow hopper, or any larger nymph. The lake trout get plenty to eat, but not as well fed as river trout, so they will often grab anything that looks calorie-laden. Royal Wulff's are good, and red humpies. I find most anything wth RED receive a lot of attention.

Just remember that in a lake the food does not come to the fish, the fish must look for the food - so they're always on the move. So pick out structure (rocks, trees, etc), inlets or outlets, and and other likely spots and wait. Or if you have a float or boat, you can cruise the shore line.

In any case, practice your knots for swapping your fleis. I use a Davy's knot for all my flies because it's so fast. I find that I change flies quite often unless their smacking one thing in particular.

Anyway, sounds foun. I wonder if the Grayling Arm is supposed to have grayling? Then sure put up a good fight!

PM me if you need more info.

Jimboha!

The foam arsed blob or FAB came about because the boobie was too buoyant and if the eyes are not equal caused a lot of spin and in competition a spun up leader is time lost. Some find the FAB works best as an attractor to other flies on the cast. Because the butt sits up hooking can be an issue sometimes. A recent post in a UK forum put blobs #1 boobies #2 and FAB #3 if really necessary. Not because they don't work, just because the blob is so damn good.

Like Nate, I got both sets of flys today. Blobs and Smallmouth. Lots of cool stuff I haven't really had a chance to look over yet. Spent much of today tying for a couple of other swaps plus filling out some of the things I need for a couple of trips. One of the first things I thought of when looking over my oragnge blobs was drifting for steelhead. Just has more flash that the yarn we used to use. I'm a firm believer in two colors contrasting for steelhead yarns flys and would love to do a orange/chartreuse blob to use on them.

I'll be in TN the end of the this month on the Little River, which is a mostly brookie river until you get downriver a ways, where those smallmouth flys will be the thing to use. I'll be heading to the South Holston for a few days after we leave the Little River and just may toss those blobs on the river stockers.

Thanx for hosting and hope to put these to work pretty soon.

A recent post in a UK forum put blobs #1 boobies #2 and FAB #3 if really necessary. Not because they don't work, just because the blob is so damn good.

Well, there you have it! Thanks, Colin for the clarification. But I think the most important comment is indeed "the blob is so damn good."

Jimboha!

Got mine in today. They look great. Can't wait to try them out. I've been wanting a sinking line anyway. I think this swap will sway the budget that way. Thanks for Hosting Jimboha.