Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jallenjet

King Salmon, AK fly suggestions.

Hi guys,

A few of my buddies are heading off to King Salmon, AK this summer and I thought (Since I can't go myself) that it would be cool to make a few flies for them to try out. They aren't huge fly fishermen but get the pleasure of going to some lodge out in King Salmon and get to fish on someone elses dime.

Since I haven't fished in AK and don't know much about fishing in AK...could anyone suggest some flies to tie for Rainbow trout? I'm pretty new to the whole fly tying world but figured I had a few months to get a few right for them. Thanks for any suggestions or thoughts/tips!

-Josh

I am a guide in King Salmon Alaska and have been guiding up there for 6 years now. I work on the Naknek River and I'm very familiar with the area. When I get home tonight I will post some pictures of the flies that work best for me on the monster bows up there. Can you give me an idea of what time of the year they are going up there? The biggest bow I have personally landed was 36 inches long. Last year the biggest bow in my boat was a 33 incher.

I'll p.m you some pictures later tonight. Sounds like I already know who they are and they will be after smolting bows. I've got some great patterns for you.

hey duck.. im also curious as to what flies u use.. this summer will be my first year guiding in AK for king salmon.. mainly focusing on fly fishing for the lodge im guiding at..would love to see some of your patterns

thanks..and jallen.. you should check out alaskaflyfishinggoods.com.. they have some good all around patterns for all species