Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
todvan

Streamer Fly Box

What does everyone use for carrying/storing large (4" plus - some articulated) streamer patterns?

Streamer fly specific foam boxes? Crankbait plastic boxes? Any good DIY ideas? Thanks!

I like my leather trifold fly wallet with fake shearling on the inside. Gotta dry it well after use, but I like it. LL Beans sells them, as, I'm sure do others.

I made a box from a craft store case and some foam, then slit with a razor.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=66887

Here's an old thread with a link to detailed instructions. I made one last year and just picked up a bigger box this past weekend. I never did paint mine, just slap decals on it.

For my big flies, like you are asking about, I just have a Plano tackle storage box. Since I don't carry a ton of flies with me, and this box fits in my waist belt, it's perfect for me.

Check out your local craft store for a ArtBin storage box like this one:

http://www.joann.com/artbin-translucent-quick-view-carrying-case-large/prd792146/

Then cut a piece of 3mm craft foam to stick your flies to. Then you have yourself a $12 Streamer box on the cheap.

One thing to note is that this box is most definitely not something you would wade with. However, as mere storage goes, this thing rocks. I have four of these, with a spare empty one I use for all of my warmwater flies. They are the perfect size for a good boat box.

The Cliff Bugger Barn is a great box - I fish a lot of large streamers and have used this box for years, and I have no complaints. I like the slit-foam for streamers and bass bugs because the big, heavy hooks tear up the regular type of foam (the kind where you have to impale the hook in the foam) so fast. My bugger barn still holds the hooks as tightly as the day I bought it 8 years ago, and apart from the little bits of feather, the foam still looks brand new, too. If you want to carry a LOT of big streamers, Cliff (and a couple other manufacturers I'm sure) make bigger fly "cases" -- I know one is called a "Bugger Beast" and another is called a "Justin Case". Those are more like boat boxes, though - they look like little briefcases.

Having said all that, as Bugger Barns go for around $25, I've started making my own. I buy a cheap plastic fly box of the same dimensions as the BB, tear out the foam that's in there and replace it with 3mm craft foam from the craft store or wherever. I just cut out rectangles of foam to fit the box, then use a razor blad to cut the slits for the flies. It works best if you take a ruler and lightly mark out your cuts for the slits in pencil to keep them nice and straight. Superglue the foam into the box, load it up and go fishing. :)

For bigger flies I use small Stowaway type boxes up to the larger ones (3700 size maybe?) for the big musky flies. I have a fly wallet made by Finsport that is great for streamers up to about 8" long that can be stored flat. Anything I don't want crushed goes in a compartment style box like a Stowaway.

Artbin boxes with 6mm foam but all the new boxes I make will have the 1/2" gym floor foam mats cut down to shape. I paid 5 bucks a box last time but stopped in Joann again now they are 20 bucks a piece on sale 50% off for 10 bucks? WTF! Highway robbery by big corporation continues!

Got a nice Taurus pistol box from my brother that I am going to use to fill up the weekend. Free is good for me.:)

MFC boat box w/swing leaf

OR

Large plano boxes

Key is letting the materials dry fully before putting them back in with the other flies

56678DEF-8E3D-4875-84E4-00BC438E459D-204

I have some scientific angler boxes dedicated to big streamers and poppers. The larger of the two will hold 7" flies neatly. I also just ordered two big streamer boxes from green caddis this morning. Anxious to see how they compare, they cost about 35% less.

http://hatchesmagazine.com/shop/fly-boxes/waterproof-fly-boxes/large-double-sided-clear-lid-waterproof-streamer-fly-box-6-5-x-4-5-x-1-75.html

http://hatchesmagazine.com/shop/fly-boxes/waterproof-fly-boxes/extra-large-waterproof-streamer-fly-box-7-7-x-4-3-x-1-65.html