Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chefben4

A few more additions to the box!

Here a couple more additions to my musky arsenal..

I call this one the "Big Nasty" because well.. its nasty looking. The beautiful thing about it is that Musky like nasty!! This is one of those flies I couldn't duplicate if I tried. I just starting tying things on the hook in no real order.

SAM_0894_zpsa9b78afa.jpg

This is my "Super Shad" Musky fly. At about 14" its sure to attract some attention. And for size comparison the little fly is a Articulating damsel which is 2- size 8 hooks. The super shad is tied on two 6/0 Mustad 34007s.

SAM_0910_zps512176fd.jpg

Deer Creek Gator Eyez and Diamond Hard

SAM_0907_zps01e9add4.jpg

I have a bunch of the "Big Nasty" style, sit down at the vise, and start tying stuff on, no two come out looking the same.

Now that I am trying to sell a few I have to start writing down a procedure so I can duplicate them with reasonable consistency.

I have a bunch of the "Big Nasty" style, sit down at the vise, and start tying stuff on, no two come out looking the same.

Now that I am trying to sell a few I have to start writing down a procedure so I can duplicate them with reasonable consistency.

Yeah thats one of the problems! Usually people will ask for them from me after they see them. Then I am like ohh crap! So I have to disect the fly to figure out what I did!

What size rod/line are you going to use to cast that wet sock? Good looking fly, ought to push water like a submarine - nice!

Kirk

If Ben ties his the same way and it looks like he does, they can be cast with a 9 or 10 wt rod. Most of the materials shed water easily, usually just bucktail, flash, synthetic hair, marabou and hackle which dont soak up a lot of water. When you get into the bunny strips and similar materials then you get the wet sock affect.

What size rod/line are you going to use to cast that wet sock? Good looking fly, ought to push water like a submarine - nice!

Kirk

Kirk

If Ben ties his the same way and it looks like he does, they can be cast with a 9 or 10 wt rod. Most of the materials shed water easily, usually just bucktail, flash, synthetic hair, marabou and hackle which dont soak up a lot of water. When you get into the bunny strips and similar materials then you get the wet sock affect.

Kirk, Crotalus is correct! Almost everything I tie with sheds water to try and eliminate the old wet sock trip!

The big nasty is gliss n glint (synthetic), Bucktail, a couple pieces of marabou, schlappen, and a arctic fox head (lots of pushing power, little abosorbing). The super shad is even more simple.. Bucktail, A little bit of marabou, A LOT of rooster saddle, and again arctic fox.

For whats its worth though I have a Midwest Custom Fly rod (steeldrifter) for Musky. Its a fast action 9wt with 10 wt line.