Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
imx

legs

when tying small nymphs how important are legs in the pattern? sometimes when i get down to tying small like #16 and #18 i can't justify the point in tying in legs, a rough thorax that is brushed or dubbed loose seems to make no differance. you folks see a differance.

When frank sawyer designed his pheasant tail nymph he didn't think legs were important.smile.png

I've flung a lot of BHPTs at trout, some with legs, and some without. I have noticed that it didn't seem to make much difference to the success rate of the fly, especially on the small sizes.

I think color, size, proportions, and presentation are the important factors.

Bill

i've read dave hughes book "hand book of hatches" about 3 times and the dressings are really basic, but as ktb just described with size, color and presentation are far more important.

the legs do look good though, i guess the old saying is true that most flies are designed to catch fisherman and not fish..

Yeah I would agree that legs are more for the tyers satisfaction than fish attraction...but I usually just throw them on just in case. You can mess around with materials too...for tiny flies I'll use things like deer hair as nymph legs or antennae.