Fly Tying

been wonderin the same thing myself...sure does make wingcases look snazzy

CCG and other light-activated resins are an invaluable addition to my arsenal of materials. You can use them to replace epoxy in applications where you want or need the resin to polymerize quickly. This certainly speeds up production. It also allows you to create shapes that might be difficult or impossible with ordinary epoxy. For example, you can apply the CCG resin to your fly, distribute it as you wish, then use gravity (or your toothpick) to pull it into shape. Zap it with your UV-light and you freeze that shape permanently.

The material is not cheap, but does go a long way if you use it only in applications where epoxy (or Sally Hansen's, or Cellire, or Head Cement) won't serve your purpose. The lights are similarly not inexpensive. But you can buy a couple of UV-LEDs (265nm) for a couple of bucks and make your own if you are watching your $$$.

Diamond Hard Tack Free U.V. Resin $21.31/15ml

UV Knot Sense $8.50/15ml (1/2 oz.)

Clear Cure Goo Tack Free Squeeze $20.00/15ml

(This information is from their respective websites as of today, 2/8/13. I did have to convert British pounds to dollars.
Please note that other "flavors" of CCG are cheaper.)

I personally think they are all worth it and just another tool in the toolbox.

Kimo

I bought the other flavor of CCG as in the thick variety, also have the Hydro which is the $20 bottle mentioned, IT IS GREAT I love being able to finish flies instantly and not have to wait on head cement to dry

Everyone should have Hydro on their desk. I use it all the time and the bottle should last a good long time. I bought the starter kit with the light, thick and thin and it's also a good value. CCG's light is the best and cures their product the fastest. I've used knot sense for wing cases it peels off after fishing it awhile. I've not had this issue with CCG.

Not a fan of the Loon stuff at all.

I just started using CCG and Solarez recently. The Solarez isnt bad, but thier tubes are hard to use for application. I really really like the Hydro, i use it interchangably with Sally Hansens or super glue while tying and the longer I use it the more I reach for the CCG over the other two. Even with needing to hit it with the light it is still faster curing that the other two.

Hmm I just had an idea to speed up my tying a bit. Time to do some research.

I use Clear Cure Goo in both the tube form and the 'Brushable" bottle. I think the local shop charges $15 for each. It's pretty easy to use and does some amazing things. I really don't like having to mix two part epoxy every time I want to use it and then playing with a drying wheel. My biggest complaint about CCG is that when it's dry it has a tack to the surface. I use Sally Hansens Super Shine - or some such thing - to make a hard surface. If you don't use epoxy, you don't need Clear Cure Goo.

I use Clear Cure Goo in both the tube form and the 'Brushable" bottle. I think the local shop charges $15 for each. It's pretty easy to use and does some amazing things. I really don't like having to mix two part epoxy every time I want to use it and then playing with a drying wheel. My biggest complaint about CCG is that when it's dry it has a tack to the surface. I use Sally Hansens Super Shine - or some such thing - to make a hard surface. If you don't use epoxy, you don't need Clear Cure Goo.

Have you tried the Hydro as a finish coat? It cures with no tack.

No i wouldn't recommend clear cure goo at all, *runs away with his glow light*!

Hydro has changed my world, and tack free has made me 'tie' jelly belly minnows and surf candies with ease.

Tack is encountered often, and i found new batteries in the light plus always using a coat or two of sally ontop, plus i always leave the 'flies' a day or so in the window to settle down, after being patient with it i found it to be the best. That is the key patience.

Its a good alternative to epoxy for most applications but not for big meat flies and poppers and such. These UV resin shouldn't be that expensive cause in this world they are dicating pricing to cater the well offs and make make it harder for the rest ofuse. Epoxy is the best for durability especially If you want your fly to last long. UV resin is good if you in a hurry and that is all. UV resineven after is proper cures hard flakes off if hit a rock or wood debris.

Use epoxy for fishing!

or

Use UV crap for bragging! ;)

Its a good alternative to epoxy for most applications but not for big meat flies and poppers and such. These UV resin shouldn't be that expensive cause in this world they are dicating pricing to cater the well offs and make make it harder for the rest ofuse. Epoxy is the best for durability especially If you want your fly to last long. UV resin is good if you in a hurry and that is all. UV resineven after is proper cures hard flakes off if hit a rock or wood debris.

Use epoxy for fishing!

or

Use UV crap for bragging! wink.png

Two observations:

"... they are dicating pricing to cater the well offs and make make it harder for the rest of us." Yeah, because there are so many "well offs" that they can make all the money they want. Really? So, the 1 percent will make the company selling Clear goo more money than the 99%? Paranoia has it's hooks deep in you !!!

"Use epoxy for fishing! or Use UV crap for bragging!" ... A bit harsh to all the people on here who do use UV resins.

These UV resin shouldn't be that expensive

This I completely agree with. If you do some research on the UV cured acrylics industry, you find these goos and goops and slops are sold in bulk by the manufacturers. There are about a billion different formulations out there for all kinds of different industries.

There are some, I think CCG is one, which claims that their chemicals are mixed in-house specifically for fly tying, and that may be true but the vast majority of this stuff is repackaged material from some giant chemical company. NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT! Someone had to do the research to find products which act the way they want them to act, then come up with a packaging process, and all that-- so you're paying for the concept and convenience but paying very little for the product itself.

The markup on this stuff is GIGANTIC as phish said. They are pushing to a very small niche market.... and I've never met a fly tyer who doesn't routinely spend more than they NEED to.

Flexament and "Flexament Thinner" are my favorite examples of this craziness- in a fly shop a one-ounce bottle of Flexament Thinner costs about $4. That's $512 per gallon---- and all it is, is straight up Toluene from the hardware store. Last I looked it was $7 a quart can- $28 per gallon. All that Flexament is, is "shoe-goo" type synthetic adhesive mixed with toluene. For about $14 you can have a lifetime supply of flexament if you scrounge up little bottles to put it in.

Yes, it's all pretty neat stuff, but WAY overpriced. If it does what you want and it seems worth it to you, then by all means use it! I used some of the early Tuffleye products and wasn't impressed at all- they cured yellow and tacky even in full south Alabama summer sunshine. I have used a good bit of Loon UV Knot-Sense and like it for a few uses, but have kind of let it slip to the wayside although I still have it.

I'd like to try the Hydro, but right now can't justify the expense.

Use epoxy for fishing!

or

Use UV crap for bragging! wink.png

What brand are you using? CCG is designed to have some give to it so it doesn't break when you bounce it off a rock. In my experience it works as advertised. I save money with CCG (not counting batteries) because it won't harden in the tube. With epoxies they always manage to harden so I end up throwing them away.

These UV resin shouldn't be that expensive cause in this world they are dicating pricing to cater the well offs and make make it harder for the rest ofuse. Epoxy is the best for durability especially If you want your fly to last long. UV resin is good if you in a hurry and that is all. UV resineven after is proper cures hard flakes off if hit a rock or wood debris.

thats almost laughable

no one is getting rich off CCG... believe me

cost is partially due to it being a 100% made in the USA product

and no, it will not crack or flake when used properly

I've used it for a very long time and never had a fly crack/chip/yellow

yes it does cost a bit more than super glue or 2part epoxy... but it is a better product AND there is NO waste