Fly Tying

On the CCG fb page i think they were saying to recommend your local shop to stock it as to cut down on shipping costs and make it easier for everyone to get. I don't mind supporting them, as i think it's just the cost of a few wines. I think they were at some stage a sponsor for the forum but something happened and they left, perhaps this sort of thing? Didn't really follow it much but i think all the options are a useful tool to have in your kit.

Now that everybody's had a few minutes to cool off: I'll probably give UV resin a shot at some point - Kirk's point about it speeding up construction a bit makes sense. There's so much information and (apparently) misinformation and so many products floating around that it's hard to get anything straight without actually dropping the bucks and trying it out.

I do have some reservations, or maybe questions:

I keep hearing about tacky surfaces, and one solution I've seen is to put it out in the sun for hours. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the UV stuff in the first place? And if it has to be coated with nail polish, etc., isn't that another step that slows things down?

Epoxy can be worked while it's setting up, especially the longer-curing stuff - that appears to be impossible with UV resins. Once you hit it with the light, the cake is baked so to speak. Frankly, many (not all) of the UV flies I've seen resemble a glob of snot on a hook. Is it that hard to shape, or is it a matter of the skill of the tyer?

Price: I've been using epoxy for decades - I've picked up a lot of tricks, and I'm fairly good at using the stuff. I don't waste a lot of it, and I've never had a problem with it going bad. The UV resins appear to be off the charts price-wise. According to what I'm reading, specific resins require specific lamps to cure properly. Is this accurate? I could probably buy a few years worth of epoxy and Liquid Fusion for what one of the kits costs.

Seems like everybody has an opinion (make that strong opinion) on the subject, as well as a favorite product. I guess what I'll do is have my grandson hack Kirk's laptop and see how his tests come out.

Frankly, many (not all) of the UV flies I've seen resemble a glob of snot on a hook. Is it that hard to shape, or is it a matter of the skill of the tyer?

the goo doesnt jump out of the bottle and apply itself to the hook. easy to shape with a bodkin. tyer error for sure.

Does anyone know what the best type of CCG is they all look almost the same? I'm tying saltwater streamers and some Krystal Flash Shrimps.

post-43933-0-15715000-1360522202_thumb.jpg

On the CCG fb page i think they were saying to recommend your local shop to stock it as to cut down on shipping costs and make it easier for everyone to get. I don't mind supporting them, as i think it's just the cost of a few wines. I think they were at some stage a sponsor for the forum but something happened and they left, perhaps this sort of thing? Didn't really follow it much but i think all the options are a useful tool to have in your kit.

Obviously the owner can run his business however he sees fit but it seems like a stupid business plan to me. He could sell me the bottle for $17.00 including shipping and make more $ than selling that same bottle wholesale to a shop. If you are going to offer it for retail sale on your site, gouging will only scare customers off, not help your business.

I keep hearing about tacky surfaces, and one solution I've seen is to put it out in the sun for hours.

in my experience, the sun is the only light that will cure the goos rock hard tack free. and it doesnt take hours! plus its totally free! no fumbling around the internet looking for the perfect wave length flashlights

tyers will bitch about putting a goo coated fly in the sun for 15-30 minutes but its OK to use 30 minute epoxy

tyers will bitch about the tackiness of the goos and having to over coat with finger nail polish but its OK to over coat with nail polish when the epoxy isnt mixed correctly

tyers will bitch about putting a goo coated fly in the sun for 15-30 minutes but its OK to use 30 minute epoxy

tyers will bitch about the tackiness of the goos and having to over coat with finger nail polish but its OK to over coat with nail polish when the epoxy isnt mixed correctly

Nobody's bitching about anything Norm, I was asking a simple question. I thought instant curing was supposed to be the big plus with UV resins. Frankly, I don't care if somebody wants to coat their flies with maple syrup, I'm just looking for information I can use. FYI - there are plenty of us who know how to mix and apply epoxy correctly - I don't remember the last time I had to overcoat an epoxy fly.

I love CCG, I've got no interest whatsoever in having to mess around with regular epoxy to get things shaped and dried correctly don't want to invest in the time to do it. If it weren't for the UV options I'd not even have tried this facet of tying I can get a finished product much faster and very little mess.

Guys lets keep this civil. All you guys know that Will & I do not let conversations here go in the direction this one has been going. This is a website for friends to share a love for fishing/tying and to learn/share some knowledge, it's not going to turn into a site where people are going to start drama and argue. We will NOT let it deteriorate to the level so many other sites have been reduced too. So please keep that in mind, keep the insults off the board, and type with the respect that you would like to be shown by others.

Steve

Guys lets keep this civil. All you guys know that Will & I do not let conversations here go in the direction this one has been going. This is a website for friends to share a love for fishing/tying and to learn/share some knowledge, it's not going to turn into a site where people are going to start drama and argue. We will NOT let it deteriorate to the level so many other sites have been reduced too. So please keep that in mind, keep the insults off the board, and type with the respect that you would like to be shown by others.

Steve

If i could like this I would

Not sure why but most times the goo has been mentioned on this site we all get pretty fired up about it, price, tackyness etc.

It is nice people are so passionate about their hobby, for tacky - put a coat or two of sally on top and that also will fix the issue.

Hydro i think is the most interesting, it eliminates the need for head cement and sally, and cures like a rock.

I dunno man whatever u guys like, as i said i don't mind supporting businesses in USA even tho i am in Canada, i get great support like they sent me free applicators and tips, and yes free bottle of hydro.

Peterjay mentioned maple syrup, this could lead to disaster! :)

If you want to try UV on the cheap, google Solarez, and look on their website for the fly tiers combo, 3 small tubes - thick, thin, flex for $7ish, with shipping it cost me about $11.

Cost/ounce isn't much different from CCG but you have a lower initial investment to try it out.