Fly Tying

i saw a link on this same forum the other day were Phish showed a picture of how he turned his uv flashlight to a battery less option, couple small parts and some solder, its interesting maybe we should all copy that so we dont go through as many batteries either.

I would really like to try the CCG but no more flies than I tie it is quite expensive. I am sure this UV stuff is the same thing that dentist now use to fill teeth so maybe it is not as expensive as I thought. Using it on a fly is much, much, much, much, cheaper than going to the dentist. Just a matter of priorities I guess

Snooker, you never said what your application for resin is. If you would mention what you intend to use resin for you may get some more specific answers.

If you read the replies you will notice that UV is superior in some applications and is good to have in your tying tool arsenal while epoxy is good for other applications.

I recently purchased some CCG and have two other brand UV resins on their way and can say so far that the UV resin is great for coating thread wraps at the vise to keep things moving. However, I have not fished it yet nor have I coating poppers with it, which is my primary use for epoxy. I plan on doing a thorough testing with the three UV products and epoxy both at the vise with a variety of flies and then field testing and keeping track of each product's performance in ease of use, time, cost and durability.

I am not affiliated or am I friends with any of the companies therefore have no bias will be given. As an avid fly tier I look forward to the results in making a determination on which products are best for certain applications. Of course, this will take a while, but for now, I'd say to get some and try it out along with some epoxy as well.

Kirk

I plan on doing a thorough testing with the three UV products and epoxy both at the vise with a variety of flies and then field testing

Of course, this will take a while, but for now, I'd say to get some and try it out along with some epoxy as well.

Kirk

Wow! Kirk, I must say, I for one applaud and thank you fro your sacrifice. Field testing will be an arduous process ... I hope you have the stamina to get out there and fish all day, just for this testing procedure !!!

Actually, if you keep the records you mention, you're a better man than I. When I go fishing, I revert to about 10 years of age ... "write stuff down? test stuff? I'm fishing, I don't have time for that." I will be eagerly awaiting your results to determine if I am going to buy UV resin.

These UV resin shouldn't be that expensive cause in this world they are dicating pricing to cater the well offs and make make it harder for the rest ofuse. Epoxy is the best for durability especially If you want your fly to last long. UV resin is good if you in a hurry and that is all. UV resineven after is proper cures hard flakes off if hit a rock or wood debris.
thats almost laughable[snip]

What pray tell do you find so funny about it? Have you done the research like JSzymczyk? I have, and UV resins marketted to fly tiers has a RIDICULOUS mark up. Check Solarez prices for UV resin for surf boards versus their fly tying products, for example.

As others have pointed out, if you are in a hurry, the UV stuff is fine but none of the products out there are a reasonable replacement for epoxy in my mind. YMMV.

having only used epoxy in the past, my question is, is the clear goo easier to spread around your fly and less sticky at time of application thatn normal epoxies? i always find i tie a great fly then when applying epoxy it gets messy real quick especially on smaller flies

Definitely worth it for me. Time, and ease of use is valuable to be so if it is convenient, I will pay more for it. Even comparing CCG thin or thick to a tube of 2 part epoxy, the CCG isn't that expensive.

I would really like to try the CCG but no more flies than I tie it is quite expensive. I am sure this UV stuff is the same thing that dentist now use to fill teeth so maybe it is not as expensive as I thought. Using it on a fly is much, much, much, much, cheaper than going to the dentist. Just a matter of priorities I guess

I thought that also...but... I can't tell you how many tubes of superglue, bottles of head cement and tubes of epoxy I have tossed because they hardened while I was away from the bench for a couple months. I have had a tube of knot sense on my desk for two years now and it is the same consistency as the day I got it.

I can't speak about the different thicknesses and types and applicators and uses of CCG, but I can tell you that I will have a bottle of thin and hydro on my desk for the foreseeable future.

What pray tell do you find so funny about it? Have you done the research like JSzymczyk? I have, and UV resins marketted to fly tiers has a RIDICULOUS mark up. Check Solarez prices for UV resin for surf boards versus their fly tying products, for example.

As others have pointed out, if you are in a hurry, the UV stuff is fine but none of the products out there are a reasonable replacement for epoxy in my mind. YMMV.

i find it hilarious that people have a chip on their shoulder, thinking everyone is out to rip them off

CCG is a business... not a charity... they can choose what prices they please

and i find that their price is fair... especially for Made in the USA fly tying specific product... by a small fly fly company.

when you factor in shelf-life, easy of use, no-waste, customer service, and the finished product.... it is well worth the $

good/quality products cost more and usually outperform their cheaper counterparts

and yes... i'd bet that I have done more "research" than others

Mike, you're to funny!

I hate keeping records of stuff but years ago, I was forced to do so to record my tying time to determine a price for my flies and for some years, what I should pay the two tiers I had working for me. It is an arduous process but when done with a clock and/or by the numbers, you'll be surprised at what you come up with as opposed to non-recorded "research". Often, a task that seems fast is proven not to be so and vice-versa.

When I timed my fly production, I would time the step I was tying over the span of 6 flies to help take into account for variables such as picking up the hook, inspecting the tying work, putting it on the rack, etc. Then I would divide the total time by 6 flies to come up with a time for each step of the fly tying if that fly was broken down into steps, which many of my ties are. I plan to do the same thing with the resin testing/research.

I'll try to suffer through the field testing, likely on the numerous bluegill we have, with dignity.

Kirk

i find it hilarious that people have a chip on their shoulder, thinking everyone is out to rip them off

CCG is a business... not a charity... they can choose what prices they please

and i find that their price is fair... especially for Made in the USA fly tying specific product... by a small fly fly company.

when you factor in shelf-life, easy of use, no-waste, customer service, and the finished product.... it is well worth the $

good/quality products cost more and usually outperform their cheaper counterparts

and yes... i'd bet that I have done more "research" than others

LMAO on you K! There is a big difference when one fishes more so than sitting on their ass in front of computer doing a magazine then actually get the real time in on fishing! The obvious diffence yours never hit the water while many of mine are hanging in fishes mouth. All you want to do is spar with people just like you do on FB! I am sure you never had to pay for your stuff but the rest of us really have to work to buy something that we all enjoy. Epoxy is still the best and it only take an extra 5 minute to use epoxy.

Lety do some math if know how?;)

CCG- 15mm = $20+ depending where you buy it plus UV light $$??

5 minute Epoxy(Lowes) - 16oz = $15

That is by far a huge difference.

Whatever floats your boat Kevin;)

CCG- 15mm = $20+ depending where you buy it plus UV light $$??

5 minute Epoxy(Lowes) - 16oz = $15

That is by far a huge difference.

Whatever floats your boat Kevin;)

I prefer to use both products- different situations call for different methods and materials. Now, if you are using it for production tying epoxy will undoubtedly be the cheaper alternative. But unless you are building very large flies or dozens of dozens of smaller epoxy flies a year you will end up, like me, discarding most of your resin. As others have noted, there is virtually no waste when using CCG. Additionally, the shelf life the light-activated resins is much longer than that of epoxy- You don't have to dump half-full bottles because of chemical deterioration (oxidation?) as you do with epoxy.

Wow, that escalated quickly.

My best suggestion is to go out and buy some UV knot sense and see for yourself if you have any use for the stuff. Knot sense is relatively cheap, and works well in my experience.

I only use it on my midges with a wire wrap. They look like they are coated with a thin coat of glass, and they are very durable. I've actually never seen one fall apart, even after having 40+ fish/days....

Here are some ice cream cone midges with a coat of Knot Sense, sizes #8-10...

IMG_0035.JPG

..and some zebra midges in red and black, size #20.

midge_stack.JPG

Sure, epoxy makes them bomb proof as well, but with UV resin I can take my time and make sure I've coated every spot of the midge (which is essential for durability) without it becoming tacky/cloudy. Set them in the sun, and you're done. It's worth it for me.

I'd like to try out the CCG but the shipping is a rip off. A $17.00 bottle of Thin (15ml) costs $6.50 to ship? Someone is trying to make money off shipping as well as their product. I won't be supporting it.