Fly Tying
blackdog1101

Blind Squirrel Recipe?

I've seen a few mentions of a fly called the Blind Squirrel, for panfish & carp, but cannot find a recipe. Can anyone help me out with one? A photo would be sweet too. Thanks!

I love this pattern since I started using it. I believe that it is both a nymph and crawdad. I use bright orange flash dub for the body and I use a more sparse grisley hackle wrap over the body. Every species of fish in the small creeks that I fish like this pattern. I originally tied them for carp and I am anxious to put the ole BS in front of some rubber lips. They also work in still water so give them a try.

Do you find that fly sits point up with the varnish on.the turkey?

I tied a few of these up last season, with some variation, and found that I had to use either a bead chain eye or a piece of flat lead wrap on the underside in order to get it to ride hook up. I was fishing mainly slow, stillwaters. The bass seem to like, maybe take it for a crawdad(crawfish) :)

Mike

Ah, thanks. I'll try some of these on sea trout and loch browns. If I add bead chain is that a short eyed squirrel?

I have tied all of my BS without weight of any kind and yes they fish hook up when tied on nymph hooks or other fairly heavy wire hooks. I do, however, tie mine a little more sparse with hackle. If I needed to fish them deeper I would not hesitate to use beadchain or small lead eyes. Yes these flies work.

Hey :PeterJay....I do think they will work in the salt. I sent one or two to bowmike a couple of months ago for that very purpose. I have not had a reply yet as to any success or lack of. I don't have any idea who originated the fly but I originally found the name on another forum in a carp thread.