Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
PWB

Blue Dragons

Luvin....

I don't add wings to mine anymore, it's quicker and doesn't seem to have reduced the number of strikes.

That is probably a good thing. I think the wings tend to make the fly spin on the cast and twist the leader. I will try it out myself. Thanks

The bass in a pond I fished as a kid would jump out of the water to grab dragonflies. They were amazingly accurate with their jumps, sometimes leaping 2 feet out of the water.

The smallmouth bass in the Kalamazoo River do the same thing. They don't seem to do it often, but at least one day every summer I'll show up with my usual box of streamers and box of topwaters, and can't buy a strike because they're all over the blue dragons. You'd think I'd have tied up a few by now...perhaps now is the time. :)

Those are nice looking flies. I can see those in the water, they'll look just like a water logged damsel. Which brings up a point I've been meaning to ask. Sorry to Highjack your thread, PWB ... but this is an itch I need to scratch. And before I ask this question, be assured, I love the flies.

In all my years of fishing, I've seen plenty of damsel flies and dragon flies on the water, dipping to the surface, mating near the surface on reed, etc. and generally all over the "strike zone". I do not recall ever seeing a fish eat one.

Do any of you actually fish these flies, and get hits?

Im with you. Ive seen these my entire life. We call them snake doctors here. My father refers to them as f...bugs and says that if he gets his say so he will be reincarnated as one of them. Ive yet to see a fish eat one. This includes the ones that hang around the ponds on my farm where I know there are plenty of bass.

Looks fantastic. I have no doubt it is going to catch fish this year. Adding just a bit to this one. I too have tyed something like this. Last year I had some with me while fishing a beaver flowage for brookies. As the sun set, they wouldn't leave it alone. Between my brother and I, we, and the trout, distroyed 6 apiece in just an hour and a half. We were giggling like we were teenagers again.

One day I'll get around to buying some of that Damsel body material, but until then I'm using 2mm foam to apply my own dining habits to the fish. I tend to choose the double whopper with cheese over the Whopper more often than not, and I've found that with the exception of really picky fish, this works for them too!

I started with white foam and colored it with markers. The blue is a little too deep (the flash lightened it), but I tend to search for the unpicky fish in any given group. ;)

post-63-0-00314700-1361639360_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-93083600-1361639385_thumb.jpg

Swarm!!

post-63-0-41768000-1361639419_thumb.jpg

Luvin....

I don't add wings to mine anymore, it's quicker and doesn't seem to have reduced the number of strikes.

That is probably a good thing. I think the wings tend to make the fly spin on the cast and twist the leader. I will try it out myself. Thanks

Agree that the wings twist the leader, so much so that the fly will actually turn in the water. I am going to try one of those leaders with the swivel built in to see if that will help. If not will try the wingless or tye the wing parallel to the body.