Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
cdnvet

My very first fly

Well I am going to tell you this, I am really new to this. I am a very avid fisherman but this is my first to tying flies. A friend of mine gave me his old kit as he really wasn't into it so when I mentioned I would give it a try he said before you go out and buy everything like I did try it first. If I like it he said keep it. So I am giving it a try. He did have limited items in his kit but I looked up on the internet for a fly to copy and this is what I did. The first image is the one I copied and the second is the one I tied.

Ally-Shrimp-Yellow.jpg

post-47352-0-70893600-1360520305_thumb.jpg

post-47352-0-20855300-1360521734_thumb.jpg

not a bad fly, they dont have to be difficult to work. just keep that in mind when thinking of tying flys that really work good, some of the best patterns nly take a minute or less to tie.

Well this one took me about 20 minutes to do. LOL. Going back and forth on tying tips, what materials are used for what, the lingo, etc. So far I am having fun.

Having fun and just flat out enjoying what you're doing is what it's all about, catching fish is secondary. By now you should know is that youtube is one of the best tools you have at your fingertips, and depending on where you live, a flyfishing club is also a great help, you just have to check the internet and see if you have one in your area.

Blane

Looks like a nice fly, I'm very new myself and when I hear people say a minute to tie I can't even believe it haha. I'm sure after some time it will come easier, I'm having a blast learning and trying different flies. It really is a great hobby/passion

Youtube is a great source for learning. My personal favorites among the artist tying online are Davie McPhail and Hans Weilenmann. Both have a plethora of patterns taking a student from quick and semi easy to more advanced flies

Murray