Fly Tying
LeakyWaders

The quest for the perfect Musky hook

Currently using Mustad 3407DT, only hooks I can find locally in 4/0+. The aren't too bad. Also some Mustad 3366 but couldn't find them bigger than 3/0. Looking to try some Gamakatsus soon. Would really like to try McFluffchucker's Esox hooks but the double whammy of exchange rate and international shipping keep delaying me.

My go to hooks have been Gamakatsu SL-12S & SC-152H but I also use Mustad 3407DT. Mustad need to be sharpened but that is simply done and far cheaper also. A good value and strong hook if you are on a budget. I buy my gama hooks in bulk from Millersflyshop.com and theyt have a great customer service that I can count on.

Phish said about what I was going to say too!

Gama SC15-2H's 5/0 and 6/0

Gama SL12S 6/0 (these are bada$$ hooks)

I also use Mustad 34007DT's. Why? Well I can get them at the my local musky shop for a great price up to 6/0. If you saw my most recent step by step you'll also see a double hook I have been tying on for the rear hook. I have not done any R&D since its winter, but will be out there with them heavy in a couple months

My go to hooks have been Gamakatsu SL-12S & SC-152H but I also use Mustad 3407DT. Mustad need to be sharpened but that is simply done and far cheaper also. A good value and strong hook if you are on a budget. I buy my gama hooks in bulk from Millersflyshop.com and theyt have a great customer service that I can count on.

I'm using these two hook models a lot, also.

I never had any problems with Sakuma. Not sure what they are sold as state side. Held their point well for me.

The only other hooks I've used have been owner but they are $$$ and I didn't see any problems with the much cheaper Sakumas.

The Owner's are super nice but harder to get and pricey. I forgot to mention Tiemco SP600, these are my favorite but they are much more expensive. They also have a bit wider gap then gamas. A new hook by Eagle Claw looks very nice and waiting for tbem to come in. They are going to be used on tube poppers and muskie sized frogs.

It seems everyone is pretty much using the Gamas. Those are the hooks I've been tying on. Was just curious to see if there were others out there that I'd missed out on somehow.

Just thought I'd follow up on this post as I was ordering new hooks tonight. If you like the Gama SL12S hooks, you can get 6/0 100 packs for almost $20 less than Millers. They aren't labeled as SL12S hooks, but they are.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QIO0RO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

edit: apparently I just bought the last one, because the 6/0 isn't showing up anymore. They do have 4/0 available though.

Just thought I'd follow up on this post as I was ordering new hooks tonight. If you like the Gama SL12S hooks, you can get 6/0 100 packs for almost $20 less than Millers. They aren't labeled as SL12S hooks, but they are.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QIO0RO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

edit: apparently I just bought the last one, because the 6/0 isn't showing up anymore. They do have 4/0 available though.

Let me know if they are the same. I been buying them from Millers a long time but if I can save money somewhere then thats cool!

I use the gamakatsu B10s which only goes up to 2/0. But gama does make a superline worm hook that has almost the same bend and goes up to 6/0. I like them both!!

B10s is a great Trout streamer hook and even bass. But way too small for the musky in my neck of the woods!

Ditto here to what Ben said. 2/0 B10S would work fine for most of the pike around here, but even then... something in the 4/0+ range is preferred. I'll save the 2/0 for smallmouth flies.