Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
green

colors for clousers.

What Colors do you tie this fly in. What Color seems to catch the most fish?. Does the Color of the eyes matter?

Eyes dont really matter. But colors vary depending upon if you are fishing fresh water or salt water. I spoke to bob at length one day and i wrote two pages of color combos and ratios based on fresh/salt.

I like red/white, blue/white,and chartruese. My fav is chartruese/white with a red throat, sort of an electric chicken color scheme. As far as eye color i dont think it matters. When im in a hurry to tie and fish i have used plain lead eyes no color. i beleive the eyes matter more about the weight of the fly and how deep it fishes.

It depends on what species you are fishing for. Eyes are a trigger for stripped bass. Other fish ignore the eyes. I like chartreuse over white, and the more natural brown over white.

Salt water it's a toss up of Chartruse over white or olive over white for me. Either would have silver flash. I prefer yellow or chartruse eyes, but not sure if that is a factor, I just like how they go with the rest of the fly's color... Vanity :)

Fresh water I like Olive over white with a combo of gold and silver flash, Electric chicken (pink over chartruse with chartruse eyes - I use no flash or a little pink crystal flash depending on the day. And, then a toss up of either brown over olive or olive over orange either with gold flash.

All that said, I've had guys striper fishing next to me doing just as well catching fish on black over purple while my olive over white is working... so... Probably more about me then the fish :)

Calf tail does not have the same texture as bucktail. But is fine for small clousers. 8-10. Synthetics work fine too.

Black over black with either ( silver, copper, gold, black flash ) works good in low light situations. Chartreuse over yellow ( green, yellow or chartreuse flash). More yellow than chartreuse in fresh water . Red over white. Chocolate brown over white. All white with pearl flash is another good one.

You can also add color with sharpies ( bars etc). Even streamside before you wet them. Olive is a good color to keep on you in your pack or vest.

I tie them in all kinds of color combinations. Use your imagination, that's all you really need. Vary the eye materials (brass, lead or tungsten) as they all provide different sink rates, and the eye sizes, even on the same size hook. You can fine tune a Clouser to how it sinks by making adjustments to the various components. I like to experiment with different materials too when tying them.

Here's some I've tied. Notice they're not necessarily typical examples of what you might see a fly catalog.

These have nickel plated eyes, but they're unfinished. I'll probably paint the eyes black & over coat the entire head area with epoxy.

100_4618.jpg

Polar Flash

100_4620.jpg

Squirrel tail & coyote to imitate crayfish. The eyes on this one are plain lead, coated with copper fingernail polish.

crayfish004-1.jpg

Tied on worm hooks, with black eyes.

100_4521.jpg

Tied with Fox Squirrel tail for the back color, and on jig hooks. Again, plain lead eyes with finger nail polish over the eyes.

100_4470.jpg

Other various colors.

100_4371.jpg

More none typical colors.

100_4370.jpg

Variations with many different materials.

100_4237A.jpg

100_4234A.jpg

100_4233A.jpg

100_4230A.jpg

100_4231A.jpg

100_4225A.jpg

100_4229A.jpg

All synthetic with over size eyes. Many saltwater baitfish have very pronounced eyes for their size.

100_4215A.jpg

Big, tied on a 5/0 hook, lots of bucktail.

100_4197A.jpg

100_4105.jpg

Tied with synthetics for Bluefish

100_4194A.jpg