Fly Tying
brianbailey1000

Daiichi vs. TMC

I can't find the poll from a few months ago about hooks. I've never used Daiichi but have always been under the impression they are on par with TMC. True? Appreciate any thoughts. Really interested in Dry Fly Hooks at the moment.

Go to the main menu and choose new posts or type in hook poll. I am a nut and study them as to dimensions and that kind of thing. You just have to try different ones and you will find one you really like. The two you mentioned are great.

I use them pretty much interchangeably. Both have styles that the other does not, so I switch back and forth depending on the pattern. TMC does have more barbless styles, however, so I do use them more.

Quite a few years ago a scientific comparison was done on several hook brands to see which were the better hooks and published in one of the major fly fishing magazines. I don't remember which magazine. Overall, Daiichi came out on top, with very high magnification photo's showing they were the sharpest hooks too. Great marketing for them, but as the others mentioned, style between the brands differ as do quantities per package for the same price. I don't tie much on small size hooks these days, rarely below a size 8, and have not tied dry flies in many years, but anytime I've used either brand, and I still tie frequently on both, I can't recall any issue with them. You could do worse!

I have really been wanting to tie down to the size 32, but all I can find are the TMC at that size. They have a wider hook gape at their 32 so to me, it is reall taking some of the fun out of it. When I tie them, I always tie on the tipprt too while I have the light and magnification.

I use them both and find them to be of equal quality. IMO they are the two best quality hooks for size 8 and smaller. I typically find better pricing on the Daiichi hooks from on-line dealers.