Fly Tying

Tangled up flyline on floor of boat?

I have a 14' flatbottom that I fish out of. I have only spin fished out of it, but I am wanting to start flyfishing out of it this summer. What can I use to catch the flyline (while I am casting) so it doesn't get tangled in my feet on the floor of the boat? I am thinking of a box of some sort or is there something I can wear around my waist?

Like always. Thanks for your alls help.

Jim

There are a couple of things you can do. It is a problem in any boat, but especially when it is windy. A stripping basket is one way, a 5 gal. bucket will work too. If you use a bucket (or something else) make sure you put something on the bottom to keep the line coils from tangling. Some people use 100# mono. They poke about a dozen holes thru the bottom and then pull the mono thru the holes and epoxy them in place. Leave the mono 2 or 3 inches long.

Don't ask me how, but I managed to get my fly line wrapped in the swivel seat in the front of Shoe's driftboat this summer. bugeyes.gif Really wrapped, like in the grease by the bearings wrapped. What a mess, lol.

I say the 5 gallon bucket. Been a staple with alot of fly fisherman here in the South Sound for years. Cheap, easy, and holds ALOT of line. LOL.

Thanks everyone for your input. But what is the 100# mono for in the bucket? I don't see how that is going to keep the line from tangling up.

Thanks

Jim (newbie to flyfishing in a boat)

QUOTE (Sippy @ Jan 10 2005, 10:48 PM)
Don't ask me how, but I managed to get my fly line wrapped in the swivel seat in the front of Shoe's driftboat this summer. bugeyes.gif Really wrapped, like in the grease by the bearings wrapped. What a mess, lol.

Ah hell, just cut it... laugh.gif laugh.gif

I have to agree with Peddler. It does work and will also help you find that sculpin that you lost the day before crying.gif

Another vote for the 5 gal bucket - with the 100# mono.

Just be careful in C&R waters you tend to get more attention with the bucket.

QUOTE (jbrowning @ Jan 11 2005, 09:18 AM)
Thanks everyone for your input. But what is the 100# mono for in the bucket? I don't see how that is going to keep the line from tangling up.

Thanks
Jim (newbie to flyfishing in a boat)

The mono helps to keep the line from tangleing by keeping it from wraping over itself and twisting all up, it sort of "holds it still".

Along those same lines alot of guys do the same thing with the front of the knee brace on a drift boat. They will take a rubber mat and poke a bunch of holes in it then thread 100# mono through the holes so they stick out about 3-5". Then they glue the matt down on the deck in front of the knee brace and it keeps the line from tangleing and sliding all around.

Get a plastic basket Like a smaller laundry basket and get some Plastic ties like electricians use to keep wires together.

Attach them in the bottom ribs so the straight ends poke up like spikes in the bottom of the basket. They will keep the line coils separate and untangled until you cast again.

If you get the right basket, you can feed a belt through the top and wear it around your waist like a more expensive stripping basket.

Cheers

Duff

Hey Sean.... Strongbad don't Nap!!!!!!

I'm sorry for being so dense. But I'm still not seeing how the mono or the plastic ties keep the line from tangling. dunno.gif Does anyone want to try to explain this to me.

Thanks

Jim

You strip the fly line into a basket bucket or whatever you have and it don't become tangled around your feet also the line stays cleaner and doesn’t pick up dirt and sand which also helps for longer casts.

The twist ties are so you can coil the line in whatever you are using to prevent knots

OSD.

user posted image

This is a product on the market, but the plastic ties should be attached through the bottom slats of the basket and point up like the cones in this basket.

On second thought, Cabelas sell one for $20 I think, maybe an option.

Cheers

Duff