Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
rolsen

Some of my Rangeley ties

Beautiful! I love looking at these type of flies. They are so foreign to me. It is hard to imagine fishing with something so pretty. I have always wanted to ask how well do flies like this catch fish? Are they comparable to other flies and methods?

Thanks for all the comments!

There's an excellent book regarding these Carrie Stevens originated flies from Graydon Hilyard (Carrie Stevens: Maker of Rangeley Favorite Trout and Salmon Flies). Beware searching the Internet with her name only, remember to add "streamers" after her name or your better half will beat you tongue.png

Some short history: http://globalflyfisher.com/streamers/raske/stevens/stevpage.htm

This site focuses on classic and modern classic streamers: http://streamers365.com/

Kudu these were first originated to mimic the smelt that landlocked salmon would eat I use them occassionally for lake run browns and steelhead here in MI

That is interesting. The first time I went up to your neck of the woods many years ago to grouse hunt I noticed in a book "smelt dipping." At dinner that night at the lodge, I asked the lodge owner what is a smelt and how the hell do you dip one? After a lot of laughter, it was explained to me. It sounds like a lot of fun and I hear that they are very tasty to boot. After a two year hiatus, Ill be back in Onaway this fall cant wait. We no longer stay at a lodge as we have friends up there and usually rent a house and there is always a seat reserved for us at the Hard Rack.

Superb flies! I tied some of that style when I was tying commercially, but not many. Occasionally someone would be looking for them prior to traveling up that way, and some used them here for both trout & bass. The Gray Ghost was (still is) a popular pattern here, and I've always liked the Colonel Bates as a Smallmouth streamer. Have a couple of both in my own fly boxes.

Please continue posting them, they're wonderful!