Fly Tying
Fish For Life

Metal vs Ceramic

Bobbin type  

136 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I exclusively use the nor-vise automatic bobbin with the exception of spools of wire, in which I have a couple of rite-bobbins that I love dearly and need the ceramic tube due to the wire's ability to chew through metal tubes.

I use ceramic for thread, metal for all others, can't beat ceramic, never cuts or frays the thread, no matter how small.

Blane

You should had a bolth box to check. I use a ceramic for thread And a metal one for wire.

I'm using mostly metal now because they're cheap and I have a lot of them loaded with different threads. So far they have cut or frayed my thread, but

maybe they will soon.

Randy

I have a heavy duty ceramic bobbin. I like the ceramic because it cannot cut the thread, which is very good. you certainly don't want your bobbin to cut the thread in the middle of a fly, especially when spinning deer hair.

Tiemco Ceramic is my workhorse. Have a few older ceramic insert bobbins (griffin, dr slick) and a few older all-stainless ones that see very little action.