Fly Tying
Fish For Life

Metal vs Ceramic

Bobbin type  

136 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I use an assortment of all metal bobbins. I have about 7 or 8 of them always loaded up. 2 of them shred my thread, especially the 8/0, so I use them for tinsel/wire and they work fine.

I would like to eventually start replacing the metal ones with ceramic ones, but it hasn't been that big of an issue for me.

I am hopelessly addicted to my MP bobbin. :) I used to use tiemco ceramic and gave ritt a go, but they dont measure up to the MP. imho

I am hopelessly addicted to my MP bobbin. smile.png I used to use tiemco ceramic and gave ritt a go, but they dont measure up to the MP. imho

Whats an MP Bobbin

As to my answer I have a MFC Rainbow Trout Bobbin that I LOVE .... it's 4" and perfect for salty patterns, the rainbow print just adds to th appeal haha

Just got a C&F midge bobbin yesterday and I'm very positive about it. Only downside is that it's a little hard to thread because of the low diameter tube.

I just use a cheap ole metal bobbin. I would like to have dozen or so but I don't. I am sure the ceramic tube bobbins are better and will probably never wear out. My guess is that they will break if dropped. Ceramic is quite brittle. My thoughts are that if the metal tube is properly polished and then well chrome plated they should work well and last a long, long time for tyers that only tie for themselves.

I am hopelessly addicted to my MP bobbin. smile.png I used to use tiemco ceramic and gave ritt a go, but they dont measure up to the MP. imho

Whats an MP Bobbin

A mp bobbin is a marc petijean quick thread bobbin. It is medal.

MP-TT Bobbin,

I'v been afraid to try one (I might like it, then I'd need dozens!) Even though Marc is a friend of mine it would end up costing me a fortune.

Cheers,

C.

MP-TT Bobbin,

I'v been afraid to try one (I might like it, then I'd need dozens!) Even though Marc is a friend of mine it would end up costing me a fortune.

Cheers,

C.

haha, I love the thing, but I only have one, as the threading is so easy. Its nothing to change the spoil. I have a bobbin graveyard thanks to the Mp. haha But for sure, you only will need 1.

I have bunch of bobbins (i.e. more than 10) and most are Materilli's that I purchased in the early 80's...

Twice in 30 years of tying, I've had one "groove" (another reason that I hate Kevlar thread), but both times, with a little polishing with a scrap of emery cloth, they came back to as good as new.

The next bobbins and whip finishers that I purchase will also be Materilli...

Yes, ceramic is better, but I've also dropped and broken ceramic tubes....

My metal tubes have never broken....

I use metal bobbins with ceramic inserts.

My very first metal tubed bobbin always nicked my threads. Went to a shop and the guy said to use these^^^ and not to think about it again. That was over 25 years ago... he was right. Not one of them has ever broken.

i prefer the ceramic, metal ones always seem to fray my thread..

"Poor man's ceramic" is glass. My bobbin made of a glass medicine dropper is at least 15 years old, and it still works great!

Here you could see it together with other self-made tying tools.

post-34261-0-96391400-1363081296_thumb.jpg

I use griffin ceramic bobbins mostly. I do have some metal tubed ones that I can use, but I prefer the plastic feet of the griffin. I have recently purchased a nor bobbin which is also ceramic. It has taken over much of my tying.