Fly Tying
cdnvet

What kind of feathers seem to be used the most.

As mentioned in earlier posts, I am borrowing a kit that has a limited amount of supplies. I have 2 colours of chenile (black and yellow. about 2 inches of olive), small amount of elk hair (1/8'' x 1/8"), brown dubbin, black and yellow marabou, 1 cermaic bobbin, 1 black thread spool and 1 olive thread spool.

What would be a good material list to start with? I heard pheasant tail is widely used along with duck and goose. But there is so many types of materials and colours. It is almost overwhelming.

It is going be highly dependent on what you plan on tying ... When you mention feathers I thought you were referring to hackle feathers? What pattern are you wanting to tie ?? Find a pattern start with those materials

I use mallard flank feathers quite a bit. They are cheap, and if you dye them yellow, they make a great substitution for wood duck feathers.

Pheasant tail feathers are pretty popular, especially for legs on nymphs.

I would start with those 2, since they are both cheap and cover a ton of patterns.

What I would suggest is get yourself a list of patterns you want to tie then go get the materials you need for them

exactly

pick out 5-10 patterns and buy those materials. those materials will now become the builing blocks for future patterns

for beginners that are trout fishing I suggest this list

wooly buggers

griffths gnat

adams

elk hair caddis

peacock orange partridge soft hackle

pheasant tail nymph

gold ribbed hare's ear

The reason for these is each fly teaches you a specific technique that will be carried on in your fly tying endeavors giving you a firm base of learning plus they all catch fish I teach a 4H group every year and these are the flies they tie

for beginners that are trout fishing I suggest this list

wooly buggers

griffths gnat

adams

elk hair caddis

peacock orange partridge soft hackle

pheasant tail nymph

gold ribbed hare's ear

The reason for these is each fly teaches you a specific technique that will be carried on in your fly tying endeavors giving you a firm base of learning plus they all catch fish I teach a 4H group every year and these are the flies they tie

Great list. Also if you are fishing tailwaters do not forget your midge patterns. Zebra midge quick and inexpensive and can tie a ton of them quickly.

I wouldn't get a pheasant skin...get a pack of pheasant tail feathers, which is about all most tiers end up using off of them anyway. Instead get a whole gray partridge skin which is WAY more versatile than a pheasant skin.

An ebay seller usually has partridge skins on sale, not in the fly fishing section, the run about $15 for the skin, and you can find pheasant tail feather on ebay too, make sure not to get hen tail feathers, or non-center tail feathers.

Blane

Thanks for all the great advice. I fish mostly for walleye, smallmouth bass and speckled trout. They give me the best fight and enjoyment for the money and they taste good too.

With that species hit list. You'll probably be cranking out lots of streamers (other than for the brookies). I would re-iterate the "choose a few patterns and get those materials" advice. You may not even need any feathers for the patterns you want to tie. Patterns that come to mind are woolly buggers, clouser minnows, and zonkers. The buggers will use feathers (marabou and hackle), but there are variations that don't use hackle, but some different chenilles to get a similar effect (ESTAZ). Good luck and have fun. Don't get too overwhelmed with the details.

What fish are you fishing for? would be a good question for you. i fish for Panfish. i would go buy all colors of craft foam, black olive and tan and brown colors of ultra chenille and fine size. something for tails i like to use squirrel tail, fox, gray, and pine. I wouldn't get any hackle until your skills are good. Don't buy cheep hackle unless you have a fly tying buddy with you. Hackle and almost everything has risen in price. But hackle is impotent but make sure you ask a fly tying buddy or call a fly shop in your area for advice on hackle.

1. craft foam

2.Black Olive, brown and tan or white colored ultra and fine chenille

3 squirrel tail, fox, gray, and pine

4. mallard duck flank in natural and dyed lemon ( wood duck color)

5. Peacock, look for bushy hurl or Eyes.

6. rubber legs.

and lead free .015 for weight.