Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
brianbailey1000

Coq de Leon Tailing fibers

Do you find it easier to work with than Fibbets? SInce it's a natural material I'm only assuming it binds down on the shank easier than a synthetic fiber, thus creating less of a chance of rolling over. I'm only guessing here.

I have never worked with this material and curious how it compares to Mayfly tails or fibbets? Better substitute?

I find Coq de Leon easier to use than fibbets.

cdl for tailing is absolutley great. It has a nice modeling to it, and the stiffness is equal to fibbets and I agree, that it is easier to work with. If your going to pick some up, you want the saddle hackle, you can buy an entire saddle for pretty cheap. The tailing packs whiting offers are a good bargain as well.

I have never worked with this material and curious how it compares to Mayfly tails or fibbets? Better substitute?

CDL definitely compares, though I tend to use it more for tailing on nymph patterns bc of its durability. It is fine for sure on dries, but has great speckling that really complements so many nymphs. Here's a video of a PT nymph, but I substituted CDL for the tailing fiber so it will last longer:

When I first heard of CdL it wasn't easily available, but I wanted to try it. The first I got my hands on was from Marc Petitjean, like all his materials (and tools) it is of the first order. Since then I have not bought any Microfiberts. Its just my preference, though I think many people share it, but I like natural materials more than synthetic ones.

When working with it it is useful to have the AK Best "third hand" (A small bulldog clip on a little piece of board secured under your vice clamp). With this tool you don't loose the feather after tying one or two tails. It also makes the use of them easier.

If you can get it I would get the original feathers from Spain. The quality is much better. I have a half saddle from Whitings, and, while very good, it just isn't the same as the real thing. The birds are not killed and skinned rather the feathers are harvested from the birds, which are then left to grow more feathers. Usually they come in little bunches of 12 feathers. Just one bunch will tie many times the number of flies that a pack of Microfiberts will.

You'll not regret using them. In fly tying, as in computing, garbage in garbage out. CdL is one of the finest materials.

Cheers,

C.

Thanks all for your input. I checked a saddle out the other day at one of my local shops, but going to order a pack with the individual feathers, which I know Blue Ribbon carries for about $8. Really looking forward to working with this material for my comparduns.

Would strongly recommend that you do not waste your money on those little packs of feathers from Hareline/Wapsi if you are looking for tail fibers. The Whiting CDL "Tailing Packs" come in a wide range of colors, and are a much more cost effective solution. The original packs of feather from Spain are close to $.50 a feather or more, which is ridiculous for something your are just going to use for a tail. YMMV.