Fly Tying
GG34

Tailing loop

Not yet but I understand very clearly what I'm doing wrong. Too much initial power. I can see the rod bending to much on the forward stroke. Any suggestions on slowing it down? Besides the obvious.

I'm sure you have seen Steve Rajeff rocket a cast. He really puts some ummph behind his delivery. It's powerful ! I wouldn't be afraid to put a bend in the rod. A tailing loop is not a beginners fault, so I know you have some experience casting.

I can only offer how I fix my tailing loops.Give it a try:

I put about 50 ft. of fly line out in front of me and hook the line with my right forefinger. With the right hand in the starting position, I grab the butt end of the rod with my left hand, and deliver a zippy backcast working both hands together. The forward cast follows the same tempo. Work the line in a few false casts and watch the loops. The tail should be gone ! Shoot the line. Essentially a two handed cast with a single hand rod.

If you try this I think you will find that your arm and hand movement tighten up. They aren't waving and bobbing all around and getting out of position and then trying to re-position for the forward cast. On the backcast the right hand will come up to position next to your head with no twist in your wrist and forearm. Your rod hand won't have to be maneuvered for the forward cast. The left hand is helping to get to this position. Let both hands complete the forward cast and subsequent false casts. After a few practice casts with the drill return to the hand separation for a single hand cast and use your double haul.

I found a bonus using this drill in that if I just switch hand positions I can cast left handed easily.

Good Luck. Let us know if you get it figured out.

Not yet but I understand very clearly what I'm doing wrong. Too much initial power. I can see the rod bending to much on the forward stroke. Any suggestions on slowing it down? Besides the obvious.

I need a video to give you suggestions on why you are starting too fast. I few ideas but without knowing exactly what is going on, I can't say what the corrections is.