Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RichK

Fly for Brown Trout?

I'm completely new to fly fishing and fly tying, so bear with me. Any recommendations for a few good flies to carry for Brown Trout fishing?

Since you are just starting out, keep it simple. For nymph fishing just carry pheasant tails,and hares ears size 12-18. Streamers, carry wooly buggers, black, brown, and olive. size 6-12. For dry flies, just carry giffith gnats size 12-24 and parachute adams. You will be able to catch a lot trout with those patterns. But be sure to work on your presentation, it is equally as important to the fly you are presenting. Good luck.

Where will you be fishing? We could probably help you with a more focused selection of flies. But Johnny is right for you to keep it simple and focus on learning how to present your flies, and where trout are likely to be found.

If its just browns over say general trout then bushy patterns that make a surface disturbance are good. Sedgehog, half hog, Katy Maclaren, bibio, etc

Where will you be fishing? We could probably help you with a more focused selection of flies. But Johnny is right for you to keep it simple and focus on learning how to present your flies, and where trout are likely to be found.

Northern NY in the Adirondacks.

You got plenty of fly shops in that area, Stop by one and they will tell you what to use on your local waters. Also check out the mid atlantic fly fishing guide, it is free monthly mag, It will tell the hatches and what patterns are working well.

What is the different between wet, dry, nymph, and streamer flies? I've seen these terms on the forum and have no idea what they refer to.

Wow, you really are a beginner. I'd suggest you pick up a book on the basics - at least then, you'll know what questions to ask. (see the link below; this one has some good reviews) Fly fishing isn't rocket science by any stretch, but the details of the information you're looking for would easily fill a book.

Generally speaking, nymphs, wet flies and dry flies represent the life stages of insects. Streamers represent baitfish. When you consider how many diverse aquatic and semi-aquatic bugs there are, you can imagine how complicated it can get. (if you want it to) You've got lots of time before the season kicks off up there in the North Country - I'd advise you to do some reading and checking out the fly shops/clubs in your area. Most experienced anglers are more than willing to help a rookie learn the ropes. It doesn't take long to develop enough skills to have fun, but nobody lives long enough to know everything there is to know. IMO, that's what keeps it fresh and exciting. There's something new to learn every day.

http://www.amazon.com/Fly-Fishing-Beginners-Freshwater-Angler/dp/1589230671

Thanks for the info, I'll look to pick up a book to get a grasp on the basics. I signed up to take an "intro" class in April with the local TU chapter but figured it would probably be best to show up with some basic info.