Fly Tying
todvan

Flats Boots?

Saltybum

No offense but I think it is right on track. The point being that there is no shoe or boot that is universal. It ain't just what is in the water, but the structure of the bottom as well as the clarity. If its pristine water where I know there is nothing exotic the is going to kil me I like the dsand between the toes. If there are nasty critters in the water, you can't see crap and the surf is bouncing you around it's a whole new ball game. I don't think.there is one generic shoe.or boot. I have fished totally bare ass in Mexico on some remote beaches and have fished some places where they did a weekly syringe count of what medical waste came ashore.

Just a thought, but fly fishing is a passive sport, if one considers it a sport at all. However, there are not many trips I go on that don't result in a bruises, blood and aches and pains. If you are not bleeding when fishing, you are not fishing hard enough.

Earlier today, I got into a fight with inertia, gravity and the lessened friction of a slick lakeside bank. I lost and my shin bore the brunt of it. Got 3 brand new stitches and some gnarly bruising

Simms makes a good flats bootie and sneaker if your still looking. i bought the sneakers for unseen oyster bars in SW Florida. I stepped on a horse shoe crab one as well... not fun!

Stingrays like to cover themselves over with sand making them hard to see and smaller the harder yet to see even in gin clear water when I'm focusing on the water around me not under my feet. I found myself last spring shin deep water with something wiggling under my foot and looked down and picked up my foot to see a 12" ray scoot out. Glad I had on real booties. In the salt I never wade without good foot protection. You just never know what can be just under the surface of the sand out of sight.

Went to Belize thinking I needed to trick out with expensive flats boots. Come to learn my guide (who was second to none) simple wore Crocks. No kidding, and swears by them. He has a few regulars that bring him new ones every year. Go figure.

Thanks everyone. I have some boots on the way from Bass Pro. I hope these will be what I need and are easier to pack in the suitcase than my regular wading boots. I'll let you know how it works out.

Of the shoes list the ONLY one that I saw that was actually meant for wading in the flats, surf, or other water was the Hodgman Neoprene. The rest are all deck shoes used while on a boat, not wading.

They're are lots of options for neoprene boots for surf fishing or wading, sims and Patagonias can often be found pretty discounted.