Fly Tying
todvan

Flats Boots?

I am getting a chance to fish flats for bonefish on spring break. I have regular wading boots for my stocking foot waders, but would need neoprene socks to use these, plus they are bulky to pack. I am wondering if it would just be better to buy some boots designed for flats fishing or I see some people use dive boots. Don't want to spend a bunch of $ for something I might use rarely at best.....any advice??

Where will you be fishing? Sandy bottom in the Bahamas = barefoot; the Keys/Biscayne Bay = any neoprene rubber soled boot; Hawaii/other crazy volcanic bottom = Kevlar up to your neck.

sneakers work well, or you can get a cheap pair of wading boots at Walmart or a sporting good store for around $20 or so

All I can say is wear proper wading boots. If you try and go cheap you will pay. Here is a pic from January. I was not smart. It hurt terribly bad and had a hell of time fighting infection (antibiotics and all)

d84f9e52-60f8-49dc-9521-6f52a6dcf7a2_zps

Did you kick a shark in the mouth?

Haha. It wouldve been MUCH preferred..especially cause the story wouldve been better.

I was out with a guide..didnt think Id be wading, but we had super low tide so it was actually the better option. Needless to say I wore a cheap alternative to wading boots and paid. Both feet were tore up. Horrible.

Just to add my $.02 worth: there's no such thing as too much protection. I saw (and received) some nasty wounds during my years as a commercial shellfish diver. It doesn't matter if it's the Northeast, Southeast, or wherever. Even something as harmless-looking as an oyster shell can slice you right to the bone. Virtually all saltwater critters have evolved tough defenses aimed at predators like us. It's always best to err on the side of caution, especially if you're a saltwater greenhorn.

It's always best to err on the side of caution, especially if you're a saltwater greenhorn.

I think this was a shot at me. Peter.. you have one coming! laugh.png

I just use neoprene booties, but next few months am heading up north where there a a LOT of 1. Stonefish, 2. Blue ringed octopus, 3. Sea Wasps, 4. Sting rays...Probably need to get something with a more sturdy sole, i just love the neoprenes as the sand grains don't get in and rub at the flesh.

*edit* i forgot to mention the sharks, sea snakes, saltwater crocs...

LOL Riff! Nothing beats wasting away toxic jellyfish with a .50 cal! Now you see it...Now you don't! Danger gone...Eardrums too.

It's always best to err on the side of caution, especially if you're a saltwater greenhorn.

I think this was a shot at me. Peter.. you have one coming! laugh.png

LOL - believe it or not, it wasn't. (hey, it could happen) Hell, you're a grizzled old salt compared to the average tourist. The ER and walk-in clinics in my hometown are jammed all summer long with idiots who think the Atlantic Ocean is some kind of theme park. Everything from sun poisoning to lacerations to drownings to Portuguese men-o-war stings, and nearly all of it could have been prevented with a little common sense. Nobody loves the salt more than I do, but I learned at an early age that you have to show King Neptune the respect he deserves. Even then, it always contains an element of risk, but so does driving to the library.

"Even then, it always contains an element of risk, but so does driving to the library."

I'll say. I got rear ended a few years back by a drunk lady on my way to the library to find some books on fly fishing right after getting into this fickle sport. Anyway...back on track.

I was wearing some of those cheap reef shoes and stepped on something that cut through the sole and sliced my foot severely. Turned out to be a broken quart beer bottle. Two inches over and it would have come out the top of my foot. Since then I ALWAYS wear something that has real soles.

I wore out a pair Hodgmen's and Bass neopreme boots previously and now have a pair of Pinnacle dive boots that are very tough. Maybe a little thick, 6mm and warm, but I'll take that over a trip to the OR any day.

With these boots I would feel comfortable stepping on a stingray ( which I have done before) w/o too much fear unless it's one of the prehistoric varieties about five feet across.

Serious foot injuries can not only ruin a fishing trip but can plague you for the rest of our life. Be careful.