Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fish For Life

tye flys, fly fish or both

WHAT DO YOU DO  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Shoebop, it's funny, I wasn't much concerned about grammar when I was younger, didn't think about it much, but have become the same way. IMO, good communication in the English language & good grammar go hand in hand! (Proper spelling too!)

So, which do you prefer? Tier or tyer?

Tyer is the proper useage since tier means a layer or level.smile.png The English language is really confusing wacko.png

Tyer is the proper useage since tier means a layer or level.

Certainly is confusing! According to Dictionary.com, ( Random House) used as a noun, ti-er, is also "a person or thing that ties".

Same definition is displayed in the Collins English Dictionary.

Not all dictionaries I've checked display this definition. Go figure!

To me, a person does not reallly Fly Fish unless they also Tie Flies. Non-tyers lack a complete understanding of what they are doing. It's different than other types of fishing. I can happily fish all day long using spinning tackle and Rapala lures or jigs that I bought, but when I'm fly fishing I don't think I could be happy using flies which I bought. I don't know, because I've NEVER done it. I also make a lot of my own spinning lures too, but I just can't see fly fishing with purchased flies. Way back in the dark ages I caught my first fly-tackle trout and bass on my own flies, and I never understood doing it any other way.

I have purchased exactly ONE "fly" to fish with, a Gaines Fly Rod Popper, in my 30+ years of fly fishing. I bought it because I was home on leave without any flies or tying gear and I wanted to go down to the creek across the road with borrowed tackle. I remember I caught a 4-inch long smallmouth on it.

I was surprised when I saw how many started tying before they took up fly fishing. Like a lot of folks, I started annoying the fish (and that's a pretty good description) with a fly rod long before I started tying my own. Haven't bought a fly in many years; just doesn't seem right anymore.

I started as a kid, tying bucktail jigs for my family. Dad would talk about how (in our little corner of the world) he couldn't find the good bucktail jigs anymore which they used in the 50's and 60's for walleyes and bass. He bought me an el-cheapo vise and a few bucktails and told me to have at it. Took a few days of trial and error and a couple trips to the town library to get an idea how to do it, but I was tying Really Good jigs quickly. From there it was a short step to flies. I used his original Phillipson glass rod and level line, with the understanding that if I broke it I would not live to see my teenage years, and it has been all downhill from there.

I guess I am another one who started making my fly's first, I have yet to swing a fly line and have been tying for about a year now. I hope sometime in the next 3 months to get out and try my luck though. I may have to try to set up a trip with some of our local experts to teach me or annoy them at least.

just get out there and get your flies wet. Throw them up current, down current, or no current in a lake. Despite the billions of pages of enlightenment which have been written about fly fishing, there is no magic involved.

The answer to this pole is why it would be so hard to make a living only selling flies..we all like to catch fish on things we have created