Fly Tying
Mergus Merganeser

Daddy Long Leg

I am not trying to be argumentative. That is a beautifully done ... Crane Fly or Mosquito Dragon.

This is what I've always known to be a Daddy Long Legs.

It is one of the few vegetarian Spiders in the world.

I am not trying to be argumentative. That is a beautifully done ... Crane Fly or Mosquito Dragon.

attachicon.gifdaddy long legs.jpg

I know! But its named DLL in Norway. What you are reffering to is called "Skrukketrol" in Norwegian tongue.png

http://www.treknature.com/gallery/photo28192.htm

Regards

And not to create an ongoing debate but the one you pictured is not a spider it is a "harvestman".

Though in the same class as spiders "Arachnida" they don't have the same features that would make it a spider, for instance they only have 2 eyes but a spider has 8.

And yes they do feed on vegetable matter but they will also eat other insects as well as other harvestman.

FlyTieDad

And not to create an ongoing debate but the one you pictured is not a spider it is a "harvestman".

Though in the same class as spiders "Arachnida" they don't have the same features that would make it a spider, for instance they only have 2 eyes but a spider has 8.

And yes they do feed on vegetable matter but they will also eat other insects as well as other harvestman.

FlyTieDad

No debate needed. I knew they aren't "true" spiders ... but tell that to my sister. It's got eight legs, and feels creepy if it crawls on you (which they invariably did under the apple trees) and it's a spider. Also, according to her, it can bite you and kill you, just like ALL spiders can.

I know differently, but she'll beat me up if I try to explain to her ... so I've always just called them spiders.

Mergus ... after looking at online images, I see that lots of people call Crane Flies "daddy long legs". I learn something every day!

FlyTieDad

No debate needed. I knew they aren't "true" spiders ... but tell that to my sister. It's got eight legs, and feels creepy if it crawls on you (which they invariably did under the apple trees) and it's a spider. Also, according to her, it can bite you and kill you, just like ALL spiders can.

I know differently, but she'll beat me up if I try to explain to her ... so I've always just called them spiders.

Mergus ... after looking at online images, I see that lots of people call Crane Flies "daddy long legs". I learn something every day!

No problem Mikechell, we all learn something everyday smile.png

Regards

HA! my wife is the same way.

I try to show her how cool they are over and over and she just doesn't see it.

I mean how many critters do you know of that can drop off a leg that keeps twitching?

Girls.. pffttt.

FlyTieDad

I think we have a case of two nations divided by a single language. In America I believe Daddy long legs = Havestman Uk = crane fly. Have to disagree with Mike's sister though, it's the crane flies that are lethally vemenous (hate the creepy little beggars) ;-)

All that aside Mergus' fly is so realistic my skin is crawling!