Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
throwinflys

What kid of line do you use for monofilament eyes?

It depends on the size eyes I need, as to what line I use to make eyes, I don't think I've ever used any that small before.

Blane

I use the mono made for grass whips for larger eyes. It comes in various diameters. Go to a Home Depot or Lowes.

You can also use the stiff mono bristles on hair brushes from a dollar store. They have the black color for black eyes.

I use the mono made for grass whips for larger eyes. It comes in various diameters. Go to a Home Depot or Lowes.

You can also use the stiff mono bristles on hair brushes from a dollar store. They have the black color for black eyes.

Thats great ideas! Has any body taken these pieces of mono and put glass beads or some thing like that ether?

I use 30 and 50# Zebco mono from Walmart. Its about 3.00 for 250 yards. Clear works for me. Yes you can melt, melt then paint with nail polish, or drop a couple of beads on a 3" piece, and burn the ends. Then glue the beads in place with UV or epoxy glue. Lighter line like 20# or 12# will work for smaller eyes. The beads will make pretty big eyes. The trick to burning the mono is to hold the line vertical as you melt the ends. That prevents the line from drooping, or sagging as it melts.

I use 17#, 30# and 50# Berkley Trilene.

They can be had by the yard at sporting goods stores.

The 17# spool I got for free because it was a sample roll that is not commonly used.(It's been discontinued.)

For creating eyes, take a 3/8" piece of mono with tweezers and wave it thru the orange portion of the flame as opposed to melting one end and then the other.

I get more even eyes and the soot also darkens the eyes.

Hi Guys,

Over the years we've used a lot of different mono types. Several years ago while staying at an RV park, we found a "RV flap" that had dropped off a motor home. It's one of those things that hang across the back of an RV or truck to keep mud and rocks from being thrown into a towed vehicle or trailer. It has a metal strip alone one side with strands of heavy, black mono about 14" long hanging from it. Anyway, the mono melts into some of the best shaped, melted mono eyes we've every formed. The "flap" is several feet long and the fibers from it have lasted us (and several friends) for years. I don't suggest you go out and buy one but keep your eyes open around RV parks; you never know what you might find! Take care & ...