Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
firetool

Tell me of the Kitties

I love to to catfish with convitional takle. I have not cought a catfish with fly rod yet. I was woundering how many have done it and what the biggist I could execpt in a fly rod is. I could like to know it there are a few flyies that rise to the top of your minds as being more efective than others. I think the wooly bugger and the Dobson larva would be great. My son cought a 10" Channal on a stone nymph. If you have some pictures of your catches or flys that would be great. Also if you know a tecknek that would helpcatch them that would be great.

I know nothing about catfish but I have seen pics of a fella up in Canada I believe that catches some that are quite large. Well over 20# and I am thinking in the range of 40#. That would be fun. It will be interesting to watch the responses.

I know they can be taken on rubber shads etc. I would tie up a weighted fly with a rattle in it and a long bait fish profile and fish it on a sinking line to keep it bouncing/dragging bottom.

I've caught numerous Channel Cats & Bullheads on flies, mostly incidental to fishing for other species such as bass. I don't recall ever catching one on a surface fly, but suppose it's possible. The flies I've caught them on have varied, so don't think you need specific patterns. If you happen to get the fly in front of them, they'll strike at it. Also, all that I remember were caught in rivers with some current, which may be a key to getting them to take a fly. Like other species, catfish will position themselves to most effectively take advantage of the current bringing them food. So, where you might fish for bass, that would be the place to try for catfish.

I've caught a few Blue cats on small ultra light spinning lures, but as yet have not caught one on flies. IMO, they would be just as likely to strike a fly as anything if the fly was placed where they could see it.

One fly in particular I've caught several on is a black leech, tied in the style of a Clouser minnow, and tied heavily with ostrich herl. I also include some Flashabou, like copper, bronze or both. It's one of my favorite stream flies for bass & where there are bass, there can also be catfish. smile.png

A common misconception is that catfish have poor eyesight. While they are much more attuned to scents than most other fish, they are still able to see quite well. Big cats are predators who will also scavenge opportunistically. I've caught several, mostly while bluegill fishing with a miniature clouser or panfish charlie.