Fly Tying
Piker20

Do you like wearing rubber?

Sadly the image of a crab bitten corpse isn't off the mark. Too many lads drown out fishing and the bodies or whats left wash into this area so a few turn up in nets along with mines left over from WWII.

I think I am leaning toward some new neoprene chesties and save the pennies for a kayak.

Sadly the image of a crab bitten corpse isn't off the mark. Too many lads drown out fishing and the bodies or whats left wash into this area so a few turn up in nets along with mines left over from WWII.

I think I am leaning toward some new neoprene chesties and save the pennies for a kayak.

I think that's a wise move. You can't beat the neoprenes for cold weather.

Yeah, finding corpses is fairly common on my stomping grounds as well. Seems like a few tourists buy the farm every year - what really gets me is the way these idiots allow their kids to step into harm's way without a second thought. Some of the stunts I've seen have been horrifying. It's bad enough that my hometown has an ordinance on the books prohibiting nonresidents from swimming on beaches that don't have lifeguards. Not that it's limited to tourists - my cousin's husband was a professional waterman all his life until one day his boat drifted ashore without him. They found him a couple of weeks later, pretty much as I described. Nobody will ever know what happened. Just about everybody up there knows somebody who died on the briny deep. All it takes is one moment of inattention. The ocean is no place to screw around.

Any serious amount of time in a wet suit is going to get uncomfortable. The insulation in the suit is provided by air bubbles in the material, air bubbles make it porous, and the layer of water between skin and suit wont provide insulation for long. I wouldn't like to be in one in winter temperatures soaked through. A dry suit, is gonna get warm, quick, and keep you dry, but again, for long periods of time, it ins't gonna be comfortable

normally if I am fishing in the ocean I put a rain jacket over my chest waders. Normal I fish alot in the Delaware bay and not in the ocean.

I'm not sure if I am too late to join in on this thread. I fish with a gentleman in R. I. that has a wetsuit. He is 6'10" and goes out as far as he can to make himself boyant. Then he starts to fish. That puts him 40 to 50 feet further than anyone else in waders. I have seen him swim to the end of jetties to get out of the pounding the top is taking. He claims that he can fish as long as the fish are there, even as the air temp. and water temp. start dropping. One of the biggest factors you will NEED to take into account is dehydration. In either suit you choose you will burn off more liquids than you think. Especially in colder temps.

Best of luck with your choise.

Michael