Fly Tying
banks741938

First tyes thanks Orvis

Well guys my wife and I took a weekend vacation to pigeon forge. I went by the Orvis store and noticed they were having a free tying class this morning so I said what the heck. The instructor (Dave) was extremely helpful. We learned the different types jobs of all of them. We also looked over various types of materials. We then proceeded to set up a vise and hook placement. Afterwards we laid down a thread base on a hook. We then tied a green weenie (a inch worm imitation), a UTenn colored bugger and a black bead head bugger. I really enjoyed the experience and have a new appreciation for fly tiers. Def. looks a lot harder than it looks. The whip finisher is my new arch nemesis. Pics below.

2B957FF2-1E37-4D33-AABD-604AF8A736B1-851

CA4BC3A8-4AE9-43EC-9D41-BF1F8839553F-851

Glad they treated you well, a friend of mine in Charleston was one of the Orvis Reps in GA, he now works for a local tackle shop

Welcome to fly tying. The hobby is habit forming and very relaxing. You want to get good tools to make good flies. I have a Renzetti vise I got back in the 70's and still use it today. Orvis has all the materials you need. If you want to save money head over to places like Hobby Lobby for body materials, they also have great storage boxes. I have been tying 45 years and I am still learning. Remember there are 50 million recipes out there and about 2 million ways to tie them. The vise you need is a Rotary vise. It make tying a lot easier, you can work on any side of the hook you want too.. If I remember right the Peak vise runs about $150.00. I have 3 Renzetti's and one Dyana-King Barracuda. One on the bench and one to use on the road and two if my friends come over for a trying session. Oh yes, get to all the free classes you can. Also search the internet for help in tying.

Hi Banks, I'm glad to hear we have a new there in the community. Your flies look very good for your first fly, you sir have your self an addiction on your hands! Welcome.

Dave at the Orvis store outside of Pigeon Forge is very helpful. He set up my first Orvis fly rod and reel for me. Aaron that works at the store took me out and let me cast some and gave me some tips before I bought the rod and reel. Super nice guys. I'll have to try to go down for a fly tying class sometime. Nice looking flies by the way.