Fly Tying
green

good places to buy fly tying materials

i honestly get alot of my tying materials at craft stores. They got all kids of feathers and craft fure. Just today i was at Michaels and got some nice stuff. I got some really nice marabou in different colors, some craft fure, a a few peacock feathers and this garden decoration that was made of different goose biots. You never know what you will find when it comes to craft stores. wink.png

I've had fairly good luck on ebay... Recently, I orded from fly tyers dungeon and was very impressed with the price/quant of the material!!

I've had fairly good luck. on ebay... Recently, I orded from fly tyers dungeon and was very impressed with the price/quant of the material!!
yeah its to bad they don't sell a wider variety of materials there.

Golden Rule Fly Shop...... low shiping charges.

Hook & Hackle .................good prices and decent selection on fly making and rod building supplies.

Chicago Fly Outfitters........good selection of hard to find fly materials.

Orlando Outfitters

Bear's Den

Dollar Tree

Dollar General

Goodwill thrift store

Side of the road

Hi Group,

Where to get fly-tying materials is one of the "fun" things about being a fly tier. The further you get into the "fly-tying sickness" <G> the more you may be on-the-search for new materials. That said, It's important to support your local fly shop and the sponsors (like J. Stockard) to the sites you visit; without them your source of materials will be reduced.

Keeping your eyes open with the idea a new material can come from anywhere brings two suggestions to mind. One of our favorite body materials for free-living caddis pupa come from the green web-type material in the bags that avacadoes are shipped in. Source: Your local grocery store or CostCo. AND one of Gary LaFontaine's favorite materials was the light-weight, whiteish closed cell foam that computers are slipped in before they are placed in their shipping boxes. Source: A computer store or save the foam from a new computer purchase. Take care & ...

Considering the fact that J. Stockard is one of the reasons this site is still in business, it's probably a good idea to check there first to see if they have what you want. JS's prices are very competitive, their materials are top-quality, and their service is as good as it gets. If they don't have it, there are a multitude of places to look. I find a lot of stuff on Ebay, as well as the usual craft/fabric stores. For hard-to-find materials, you can't beat Theriault Flies in Maine. There are no fly shops in my part of the world, so everything has to be found online, and I've found a lot of good sources just by Googling the materials. If you have a good shop in the area, all the better. It's usually worth patronizing a B&M store and paying a little more if the staff has been courteous and helpful. If they haven't, there are plenty of alternatives. I'm not one of those who feel that it's obligatory to support a local shop just because it's a local shop. If they're giving something in return, fine; if they're not, they can turn the place into a bowling alley for all I care.

chifly.com

If they don't have it, you dont need it (not everything is online but if your looking for something super specific they will make sure its included with the rest of the order)

I love my local shops here in Charleston and even when I go home to Asheville I visit a couple there. The only reason I avoid dealing with online retailers is that the shipping usually throws it over the cost of local shops. If they have a free shipping event I usually pick something up

I recently bought some supplies from www.intheriffle.com, good selection of supplies and free shipping over $10

And for any of you from Colorado, they are out of Castle Rock, I got my supplies about 2 days after placing an order.