Fly Tying
Alex C.

How long does it take you to tie a fly?

How long does it take you, on avg., to tie a dry fly? What about nymphs, etc.?  

406 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Being as obsessed as I am time really doesn't exist when I am at the vise. I lose sense of most everything outside my little tyin room and really get "lost in the tie." If I am doing the normal, regular fly i can whip em out fairly regularly, maybe 6-10 min.s. ( could be 2 minutes for a zebra midge) Alas there are times when my creative juices start flowing and I start plexin "what about this material substutution?" or "what if I tied it in this way?" , when I get like that I have been known to take a couple of hours to maybe setting it aside and sleepin on it! You know it's gettin strange when your tying in your dreams!. Just my thoughts on the matter, anyways,,,,,,,,,,,,,take care and my advice is to get lost in the tie! It's a wonderful place to go! :coffee:

I like to take my time as i think you get more satisfaction from seeing a nicely tied fly( not say people who tie fast make a mess of them) and I find you learn more about what techniques to use if you tie slowly.

Loaded Question!!!!!! I've taken anywhere from 2 minutes (EP streamers for trout) up to 3-4 hours (Full Dressed Classic Salmon flies). I guess, primarily fishing flies takes me around 5-10 minutes per fly. I guess it all depends............ -Jamie

Like many have pointed out, it depends on the fly.

Some years ago I did 100 Double Badger dry flies a week for a store, The fastest I have ever been is around 3 3/4 hours. That's from starting with a clear bench to being ready to deliver them. So that works out at just a few seconds over 2 minutes a fly. Tying one or two flies quickly is one thing. Cranking out fly after fly is a totally different thing. You could reduce that time a little as I'm sure I took time out for a coffee. (I wouldn't last 3 hours without coffee).

I do wonder though if it matters? Well it matters to me as someone who sells flies I have to factor in time in working out a price. Otherwise it doesn't matter. Sometimes I will take ages doing a presentation fly. I've five to do at the moment for a framed set, I'll take a couple of hours to do them. Then the same again to set them up. If they were not for a customer I just wouldn't consider the time.

Cheers,

C.

It's all about the tie...I've enjoyed fly tying for years. I guess I tie around 5 dry flies in an hour but who is counting. It's a great hobby!!!

I have been a couple of 60-second fly swaps, where each fly was supposed to be tied in a minute or less. That was a challenge. You really had to choose a simple pattern and tie efficiently.

From inspiration to realization there are lots of free variables.

Once launched you have to:

Find and select the specific pattern

Find the right materials in a mass of supplies.

Find the right tools.

Quick trip to the fly tying styore for missing ingredients.

Try to stay on course as you find great stuff you forgot you had that is just begging to be used on something else.

Scrtich the dog's back so she des not feel abondoned.

Clear away the rubble from the tying surface left there from the last tie.

Try to remember what got you started.

Answer the phone

Prepare the materials.

Answer the front door bell.

Scritch the other dog.

Quick trip to the john -- damn diuretics.

Insert first hook.

Finish fly.

Self criticism, review of other recreational options.

Strip down first effort and begin again.

Both dogs beg to go out.

Answer phone.

Completion, about a week later.

Rocco

I voted just to see the results. Some flies take 5min. and some take over an hour.

I'd say 5 to 10 mins. If I'm tying a continuous pattern and I lay the materials out for a few...if I'm messing around with a new pattern time can really fly!

tying a simple dry like a BWO or Adams, 6-10 minutes if I really take my time.

A big ass streamer like a Drunk and Disorderly Deceiver (triple D) about an Hour, if I go as fast as I can , LOL

J-