Fly Tying
TOM PRUETT

Profile Plate

I needed ..Wanted a profile plate smile.png So i made one out of a Universal Magnetic Base. you can get at princessauto for 40 .00. And foam for a 1 at the any dollar store

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8372120/Magnetic-%26-Deflection-Acc/Universal-Magnetic-Base

IMG_3301_zpsf11849bc.jpg

IMG_3302_zps631f8109.jpg

IMG_3303_zps51b42941.jpg

IMG_3304_zps96e7f236.jpg

and you can change the color plates to what ever you want .And on any angle:)

I thought i would share my little creation

I really like it. You have a nice set-up. I couldn't afford to spend the money on one a while back because that was money that could be used for materials. I used a stretched canvas sitting behind my vise and leaning on the shelf on the back of my desk. It was handy to stick your bodkin in also so you could keep up with it. I am using another one that I made from a parachute or gallows tool now. I just cut it off at the right height and can slide folded and glued foam down the wire and it turns and swings out of the way if needed. It sounds crude but at a glance you would think its store bought. Take Care, Tony

Which begs the question how many folks use profile plates while tying ? I get it for taking pictures ...keeping the back ground clear. Have considered getting one for tying but not sure if it will help or hinder in terms of having to reach around it to pick up materials or whatever I think I need next.

I prop a piece of grey 2mm foam sheet against the base of my Ott light; helps with tying and photos.

Regards,

Scott

Nicely made, Tom. You can get magnetic bases, soldering stands like Flytyer's and other types of stands at Harbor Freight for much cheaper prices. Yes, the tools from there are lower quality, you get what you pay for, but it's only going to hold a sheet of foam, how good's it got to be?

Which begs the question how many folks use profile plates while tying ? I get it for taking pictures ...keeping the back ground clear. Have considered getting one for tying but not sure if it will help or hinder in terms of having to reach around it to pick up materials or whatever I think I need next.

People have different preferences. But having a profile plate is helpful to me. I have one attached to my permanent c-clamp vise on my desk used at home and another on the pedestal vise I use when tying away from home.

i do not use a profile plate to tie flies as i prefer to focus crosseyed at the vise, hook and tying bench. maybe thats why most of my flies look like s#!t! smile.png

I like it because i can mount it to the Base or the Stem of the vice . The magnetic base can be removed by a trun of the switch. Not only can i use it as a profile plate but i can all put a mirror on it .! And why a mirror you ask ...for salmon flies or anyother fly that you want to have good Symmetry :) It realy does help

I use a commercial plate, but cut gray and light blue foam sheets to clip on the white plate just for a change of pace once in a while. Helps reduce the desk clutter I'm looking at. I can also hang / clip stuff like feathers, ribbing to it until I need them.

Tom - Your desk is WAY too neat. You should be ashamed!

flytire - I've seen those "third hand" thingies for sale on e-bay as vintage fly tying vises. I e-mailed one seller to inform him of what it really was; he had no idea.

post-4211-0-00900300-1361892417_thumb.jpg

I use a commercial plate, but cut gray and light blue foam sheets to clip on the white plate just for a change of pace once in a while. Helps reduce the desk clutter I'm looking at. I can also hang / clip stuff like feathers, ribbing to it until I need them.

Tom - Your desk is WAY too neat. You should be ashamed!

flytire - I've seen those "third hand" thingies for sale on e-bay as vintage fly tying vises. I e-mailed one seller to inform him of what it really was; he had no idea.

LOL I will not CLEAN my DESK :) If i leave to much out its gets in the way ; O and the dog she loves deer hair :) And elk and what ever eles she can get in her mouth :) :)

i do not use a profile plate to tie flies as i prefer to focus crosseyed at the vise, hook and tying bench. maybe thats why most of my flies look like s#!t! smile.png

yeah...sure they do...my big white a$$ they do...LOL But I don't use them for tying either just for photos...maybe I should try them now that I need my reading glasses for most of my flies ....

Murray

It really does help on the small mostly dark flies and you can focus your eyes better on the big stuff too.