Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
wanderingmonk

the split tail

Here is another attempt at a "tied in hand" that ended back on the vise...after a few trys I just finished it on the vise...when I was shaping the wings after completion I pulled them off three times...I just did not get enough tension on the floss to hold them adequtely...probably because they are pretty long...and maybe some wax gut under the floss when I cinched it down??

maybe next time...

The Split Tail...

split_tail3a_zps0100e05c.jpg

Thi is one of my "three feather" patterns, that is a basic compliation of several Pacific Salmon and Steelhead patterns I studied...Its a pair of wood duck feathers for the wings, a canadian goose wing quill for the tail, and something special for the dubbing...some buffalo mop...I dont know what the real name is, its the really dark scraggly, curly fur on the buffalos forehead...

this came from the herd bull that fell through some ice a few winters ago...he was missing for a day...and we found him dead ...real tragedy...but he lives on...in streams and rivers now! he weighed about 1800-2000 pounds...when he ran by the ground literally shook!

the "old school" braided loop instead of the steel eye is sort of a traditional thing with "tied in hands"...back in the day folks didn t trust the steel in the hooks...and came up with this...maybe late 1700's until almost 1900...

this is a traditional pattern that has been used for a few hundred years in various foms...

AO Feathers house brand No.2 hook
I straightened it out to tie on braided loop...
a pair of woodie flanks for wings...
some buffalo fur for the dubbing...
some .010" silver wire for the spiral wrap...
canadian goose quill for the tail...

amended pics are the fati compli...leave room for enough floss to complete the tie...

post-47700-0-80254100-1362022005_thumb.jpg

post-47700-0-00478700-1362022120_thumb.jpg

post-47700-0-09781300-1362022145_thumb.jpg

Nice work, haven't tried tying in hand. Don't know if my arthritic riddles hands could handle it!