Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
zOnk

Carrie Stevens Streamers - glue?

I'm working out some Carrie Stevens style streamers for this spring in various color combinations. These are fishing flies, not shadow boxers.

Of course if you glue the wings before tying they make beautiful flies but I wonder if they will hamper the action of the fly in the water. To me, a stiff blade of feathers just wouldn't move as well as they would independently.

So, glue or not glue CS-style streamers that will be fished?

post-47768-0-98725200-1361907246_thumb.jpg

If I remember correctly, Carrie attributed the success of her flies to the action of her glued together wings.

I also recall that she assembled the wings prior to tying & glued them together. However, I would bet she used a minimal amount of glue so it wouldn't interfere with the action & aided in keeping the proper shape. She probably just glued the stems.

She was likely very meticulous about matching the wing hackles too. I believe the idea is to have that wing move as if it is the body of a baitfish, smelt more precisely.

To me, a stiff blade of feathers just wouldn't move as well as they would independently.

You can certainly tie them that way, it won't be true to form of her style, but I doubt that would hinder their fish attracting qualities.

ok the glue was only applied to the stem of the hackle about a half inch from the tie in point lets remember she tied without a vise and was doing these for production so I think the glue was used as a way to make it easier to tie and faster not as a component of the fly's fish attraction or movement I fish many rangley style streamers and I don't use any glue to tie them and they work just fine

I personally own a few of the streamers she tied; Everyone of them is glued directly behind the junglecock eyes and it is only enough to create stability and alignment with the cheek feathers. Take into consideration that most of her ties, were very long streamers designed to catch Sebago Salmon and were also designed so that they could be trolled on wire lines.

I tried glueing tonight. It was a painful process compared to a quick pinch wrap. Maybe I'd get faster with time but tonight I felt like too much work for a similar end result.

I'll have to put a bit more time in on it before anything I'd say would be valid :P

Also -- tried a couple of different glues. Crazy glue gel didn't work at all. An older bottle of head cement that was thicker than normal seemed to work best.

@riffleriversteelheadslayer -- I think your idea about no vice and much larger flies is very pertinent. I was reading today that she didn't start glueing until she was making production flies. I'll keep testing it though. I can see some advantages in the method if I can get used to doing it.

Check out Don Bastian's blog; this guy is a huge Carrie Stevens buff. You have to scroll down a little way to January but you'll find some good info on tying her flies. Then if you go further, he has some stuff written about her originals. Its a blog so you may want to message him to get some direct links to all of his stuff as it may be last year sometime that he wrote a bunch about it.

http://donbastianwetflies.wordpress.com/author/donbastianwetflies/

Kirk

I like a Flexament type glue and make my own out of Shoe Goo and you can thin it with toluene.

IMGP5335.JPG

A great book is Klausmeyer's Tying Classic Freshwater Streamers.

Get and read the current issue of Fly Tyer magazine. Very good article covering the various aspects of Rangely style streamer tying.

I popped over to Davie McPhail's youtube channel, and low and behold he had one hackle streamers. I really respect him as a tier and like the way he added the hackle wraps on the fly before the cheek patches we added.

I'll have to tie some of these in the larger sizes and see if/what needs to change or be removed when tying on #6-8 streamer hooks.

[email protected] I'll have to look for that article tonight. Thanks.

don't rule out tying them 10xl for fishing

Exactly. Just working out the style on larger to tie the smaller. I'll fish the gray ghost or a spruce in the 8-10 sizes and they are time honored classics that always produce fish.

Tied this tonight and as I getting ready to tie the cheek patch I discovered I was out of purple died mallard flank and didn't have a nice dark black substitute -- so i just wrapped a spey collar.

post-47768-0-68775000-1362030423_thumb.jpg