Fly Tying
reel_nutz

redfish/ snook flies

I'm looking for a good SBS for good snook and redfish flies I've made alot of the basic stuff like clousers schminos deer hair shrimp chernoble shrimp couple zonkers and some glass Minos I tied with mylar tubing but I'm looking for something new maybe something in the crab type or anything that works well for snook and redfish

Florida Sportsmans forum has a few in there in the fly fishing section. May take a little searching the archives.

Pick a specific type of pattern, like shrimp flies or crab patterns. Then just Google that pattern like "shrimp fly patterns" YouTube will have dozens and dozens of videos on either type of pattern. Pick a couple you like and have at it.

For crabs merkins are a good place to start. Marabou tail, body of yarn strips of hunks of EP fibre/congo hair with lead or bead chain eyes. For shrimp a craft fur shrimp is a good start - craft fur tail, body of palmered estaz or palmered hackle over chenileor any combination with bead chain eyes.

Toad flies are good for both snook and redfish; some color patterns (esp. purples and black/reds) are tarpon-specific. If you're fishing Everglades Natl Park, choose redfish colors to blend with the bottom, usually a light to medium brown or gray, with some Krystal Flash to pick up sunlight.

I once tied a toad in chartreuse and white, intended for snook. My fishing buddy caught a redfish on it. That was a few years ago and he still fishes that same fly and it still catches mostly redfish. so you never know, y'know?

Snook & redfish both feed down in shallow water, so the hooks should be weighted lightly. If you tie snook-specific flies, I suggest using circle hooks. In Gulf waters you have to release them, so make that effort to avoid inflicting injury.