Fly Tying
eastern fly

2013 Spey swap

I spent quite a bit of time with Aaron from aofeathers.com and worked out an order and a plan for a decent fly that doesn't get too involved. It is called the "Swing Shift" and Aaron was very helpful in getting all the materials together to do the ties, and split up some of his own tying material up in order for me not to get stuck with a whole bunch of stuff that I probably wouldn't use in the future. An example was "Schlappen". I thought he was swearing at me in German for my ignorance but turns out that's a type of hackle for spey flies I didn't have any of.

If anyone is in need of more materials and wants someone who is very helpful and has a large assortment of everything spey and salmon on hand I couldn't recommend Aaron more. Now when stuff get here I'll dig into things. Have a couple of other swaps going right now, including SM one, but they're pieces of cakes to the Intruder swap I just completed and Spey flies I'm going to learn a lot about.

Millerwb, your fly is exactly what I wanted to tie. I love the look of the hackle hanging down from the belly as it proceeds up the fly, not just all in the front. I also love the looks of the flatwing on top. After a good talk with Aaron he convinced me I'm not ready for a tie like that yet...maybe never. This is going to be my only serious attempt at spey flies for the swap and I wanted something that would really be usable and not just feel like I'm stealing someone else's flies. He convinced me since I'm probably only to do this once he'd gather enough random materials to complete an easier tie the is very fishable. I'll have enough hooks and material to tie a few for myself as I learn the various techniques from a tutorial, then tackle the ones for the swap.

I really hope you do that tie as I'll probably never fish but rather frame it and some of the others I receive and put them on the wall. Or maybe I'll take up a nieces offer to go spend some time with them since the Des Chutes (sp) River runs right thru their town. Then I could feel like a REAL steelheader throwing spey flies on my 8'6" Para17 Bamboo rod with an 8wt.

I should admit that I have actually caught well over a hundred steelhead and salmon from 3-35#s but our version of a spey fly worked down and across was a snelled up eye hook with a couple of contrasting pieces of yarn stuck underneath, and often with a rubber egg...and LOTS of weight. This was with 8-9' fly rods, sometimes noodle rods for fun. Just never thought of tying a special fly for steelhead since most of the Abercrombie and Fitch guys who showed up usually ended up pissed at our ratty outfits, baseball caps, and dredging up fish off the bottom of the pools he'd just fished thru.

Millerwb, your fly is exactly what I wanted to tie. I love the look of the hackle hanging down from the belly as it proceeds up the fly, not just all in the front. I also love the looks of the flatwing on top. After a good talk with Aaron he convinced me I'm not ready for a tie like that yet...maybe never. This is going to be my only serious attempt at spey flies for the swap and I wanted something that would really be usable and not just feel like I'm stealing someone else's flies. He convinced me since I'm probably only to do this once he'd gather enough random materials to complete an easier tie the is very fishable. I'll have enough hooks and material to tie a few for myself as I learn the various techniques from a tutorial, then tackle the ones for the swap.

I really hope you do that tie as I'll probably never fish but rather frame it and some of the others I receive and put them on the wall. Or maybe I'll take up a nieces offer to go spend some time with them since the Des Chutes (sp) River runs right thru their town. Then I could feel like a REAL steelheader throwing spey flies on my 8'6" Para17 Bamboo rod with an 8wt.

I should admit that I have actually caught well over a hundred steelhead and salmon from 3-35#s but our version of a spey fly worked down and across was a snelled up eye hook with a couple of contrasting pieces of yarn stuck underneath, and often with a rubber egg...and LOTS of weight. This was with 8-9' fly rods, sometimes noodle rods for fun. Just never thought of tying a special fly for steelhead since most of the Abercrombie and Fitch guys who showed up usually ended up pissed at our ratty outfits, baseball caps, and dredging up fish off the bottom of the pools he'd just fished thru.

Millerwb thats a very good LC. vicrider why do you think you will not tye any more spey flies. For myself I am 2 hours away from steelhead water but I plan to tye a lot more and present them to everything I can. I will be going north for steelhead one day soon, but for now all of my local waters will see them.

Kevin

Actually ef, I do live near a body of water that has wipers. There are a few stripers but mostly hybrids, and they average 3-5#s and fight like crazy. I've not thrown flies at them yet but would think spey flies might just be the ticket when they're chasing shad in the shallows. The only thing is, those flies are so darn pretty I almost feel like they should admired for their grace rather than being allowed to be chewed upon by a fish.

Only kidding, if the opportunity comes to put them to use I will, and after I learn some of the basics and study the flies you guys tie, I may just tackle some more of them myself. I've heard of guys using them at night for big browns, and the version I'm going to tie is even called the "Night Shift".

I never fish atlantic salmon flies, nor spey flies, but still tie them on weekly basis.....dont discount the tying of them in future, if for no other reason than to improve your own skills and to prove to yourself that you can....

Takes a deep breath,,,, ok bro, here we go, I'll be doing something in the traditional style but with a freakstyle flair to it. If I can master the wings I'll be pretty happy. I'm going to have to do a consultation with a couple of local tying masters to get the technique down but I'm thinkin this will cause me to finally do it and do it right!

I spent quite a bit of time with Aaron from aofeathers.com and worked out an order and a plan for a decent fly that doesn't get too involved. It is called the "Swing Shift" and Aaron was very helpful in getting all the materials together to do the ties, and split up some of his own tying material up in order for me not to get stuck with a whole bunch of stuff that I probably wouldn't use in the future. An example was "Schlappen". I thought he was swearing at me in German for my ignorance but turns out that's a type of hackle for spey flies I didn't have any of.

If anyone is in need of more materials and wants someone who is very helpful and has a large assortment of everything spey and salmon on hand I couldn't recommend Aaron more. Now when stuff get here I'll dig into things. Have a couple of other swaps going right now, including SM one, but they're pieces of cakes to the Intruder swap I just completed and Spey flies I'm going to learn a lot about.

Marty's fly! That thing is a stone cold chrome killer! Lookin forward to seeing your rendition.