Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Alex C.

Has anyone tried this?

Gary Lafontaine developed a whole series floating bugs for lake fishing. He fished them with a heavy sinking shooting head and short leader, letting the sinking line drag on the bottom kicking up bugs and silt. In my limited lake fishing I have used this method a couple of times while bass fishing with very good sucess using Lafontaines floating damsel, minnow, and leech. Check out his two excellent books Trout Flies Proven Patterns or Flyfishing the Mountain Lakes to read about his technique and the flies.

It seems that the most popular and effective means of catching trout in British stillwaters is to use the Booby fly with a sinking line/leader. The Booby is basically a woolly bugger with foam eyes to make it float.

Also, the Zoo Cougar is supposedly very effective for large browns. It is a muddler variant with a wide/flat head.

This guy I know (Ok he's my brother in law) fishes flies with a spin rod all the time.

Usually around the time I'm making fun of his inept attempts he'll hook some monster striper.

All he does is slowly drag a snake fly behind a sinker - since he has A.D.D. he dead drifts it there a lot...

Works well can't argue that.

Sounds like a good idea. One of the tactics that pays well for me is to put a streamer or bugger into a source of current, attach a split shot a foot or 18 inches above the fly, and let it hang directly below me. I like to be able to feel the bottom with the split shot. It works!

QUOTE (skunked @ Jan 12 2005, 10:45 AM)
Does anyone tie floating nymphs, streamers, etc., ? You could easily keep these a foot or so off bottom with a carolina rig

This is my preferred way for fishing a nymph or even small soft-plastic on a fly rod. It also works well for a fly rod adaptation of float-and-fly for winter smallies. Its a killer technique. When you tie on a nymph or other bottom hugging fly, leave a tag of about 4" to 12" of tippet. Tie an overhand knot at the very end. Then clamp your splitshot just above the knot. The shot rides on bottom, the fly just above. When "high sticking" you will feel the take much more easily. This also make an indicator rig even more sensitive.

There is a push in some mags to sell this as a "new" technique. bs.gif In fact, it is as old as fly fishing. Try it, you'll swear by it. I do.

Joe C.

Sign in to follow this