Fly Tying
flyfishiniowa

best fly tying thread

Cotton thread is "mercerized" which is an application of a soda is applied to it to make it absorb water (dye) more readily. It also is very large in diameter compared to 8/0 fly tying thread.

Thread for fly tying is about as cheap as components get for the hobby. A spool of white and a spool of black ought not set you back too bad. I use 8/0 exclusively as my heavy thread but started off on 6/0. And have some 3/0 for spinning hair. The more you tie, the more you appreciate thin thread.

When I started taking tying classes we were talking about threads. 6/0, 8/0, 70 denier, 140 denier, how the relate to each other. The ott sizes are the traditional not so standard, standards. There is no industrial standard for these sizes, more of a gentleman's agreement. The sizes will be consistent within a particular manufacturer. From one manufacturer to the next there will be minor differences for the same size.

The threads that use the denier method will be the same between different manufacturers because denier is an industrial standard. Any manufacturer using denier for sizing will use the industrial standard.

However, when you find a thread that you like you will tend to stay with it. Then you don't need to worry about all of this crap.

I like to tie my midge bodies size 20 and larger with black 6/0 Danville, though I used to use 8/0 as well on the size 24's, I don't seem to see that for sale these days. 8/0 Uni is about the same size as 6/0 Danville, if not slightly heavier. But it's more round vs flat so as a result it's a little hard to determine gauge, to me not too great for midge bodies anyway. I would use it in a pinch though.

I like to tie my olive or tan Elk Hair Caddis with tan 6/0 Danville, I guess because I've always tied them that way. But the Danville 6/0 gives a nice spread without too much fuss and not overly spread out with a fairly low build rate. It just looks about right to me. There are tougher threads than 6/0 Danville though, you have to be careful how tight you pull down on Danville threads ( unless the modern iteration is tougher, mine is pretty old). You can pull considerably harder on 70 D UTC, for instance, and feel a little stretch. I like UTC for hair winged flies because of the wide spread of the thread and that ability to pull down tight. I use that on bucktails. I think I would have to twist it up a bit for size 16 caddis, the spread at the deer hare or elk hair tie in point might gets a bit wide if left totally flat with UTC 70d.

I have some old 8/0 thread where the labels fell off long ago, it's a bit thinner than the Danville 6/0 and I think it might have been Universal Vise. I've never found a replacement for that thread but haven't looked too hard either.. The spool is getting low. Online listings I'm not seeing Danville 8/0, so maybe this will be the time I buy some Veevus thread. I see with them they have 6/0 all the way down to 16/0, guess I'd have to look in person to see what /0 I'm looking for to more or less match my current 8/0.