Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dzura

Salt beginner

I'm looking to start trying my hand at saltwater and I'm not sure what materials to get or good cheep sources for them any input would be greatly appreciated I'm gonna be in the west palm beach area of FL if that helps

I would start with Chartreuse and White Clouser minnows. I would also tie some white on white and tan on white. Great for along the beaches, you can use plastic eyes or lead for depth. I would start with Clousers, then work into midnight minnows and shrimp patterns. Disco shrimp are a good start (you can find the sbs on Flyfishing in Saltwaters website). Also small bonefish patterns like "gotcha's" are killer for ladyfish and smaller species along the docks and beaches. Good luck, those ties you can pump out in serious numbers and they will catch fish!

What materials you can buy depends on how much money you have to spend lol... Bkatz1 gave good advice. Tie those clousers up on size 4 or size 2 mustad 3407DT OR 34007 hooks. Bucktails run you about $5 a piece but you can tie a buttload of flies with one tail. You can tie them with bead chain eyes or lead eyes I think a lot of folks prefer red eyes on clousers. You can buy plain lead eyes to save some $ and paint then yourself... Fingernail polish will work. You can also incorporate krystal flash into those patterns. I'm a new guy myself so if I can help you with any questions feel free to ask away.

I also agree with bkatz1 about Clousers. I just finished putting this together for a friend that is looking to get into tying on a budget.

http://fishingexperts.la/intro-to-fly-tying-for-the-surf/2013/3/3/start-with-the-clouser-minnow

I usually buy my materials from a local shop but, I buy all my hooks from this guy:

http://www.millersflyshop.com/servlet/the-GAMAKATSU-HOOKS-cln-SS15/Categories

Gamakatsu SS15 in various sizes seem to fit just about all my saltwater needs.

I spent 2 mo. last winter in NSB and I had a lot of success with speckled trout on craft fur shrimp. Size 2 or 4 tied with tan craft fur but congo hair or EP would would just as well. I used sharpie to 'bar' the tail and used the same fur in a dubbing loop to 'hackle' the body. I used mono, beadchain, and barbells for eyes depending on sink rate needed. I use the beadchain mostly. I also used a medium to dark brown fur but I had the best luck on the tan. Weedguard if needed. I also caught blues and some other odds and end species. I also used plated hooks instead of stainless. I never rinsed any flies after use and I saw only a small amount of rust on one fly when checking a couple of weeks ago. I am sold on the plated hooks for the price.

I'm looking to start trying my hand at saltwater and I'm not sure what materials to get or good cheep sources for them any input would be greatly appreciated I'm gonna be in the west palm beach area of FL if that helps

My advice is to figure out what you want to fish for and do some reading on the subject. Your questions are too vague for you to expect any kind of serious answer.

I kinda guessed that he would be fishing Lake Worth, I think it is called. ( part of the ICW)....Haven't been down there for many years

My advice is to figure out what you want to fish for and do some reading on the subject. Your questions are too vague for you to expect any kind of serious answer.

I second Peter's comment. The kind of fly you tie has a lot if not more to do with where and what conditions you'll be fishing in that the species of fish. Fish on the bottom in deep water, shallow water choked with grass, soft mud bottom, open water fish in the middle of the water column, etc.

Kirk

From what I gather, your brand new at salt water fly fishing, Most of the waters in the West Palm area do not have a heavy weed growth , so this is in your favor. I would recommend simple flies like platinum and honey blondes. They are very easy to tie - White or yellow bucktail for the wings and tail and silver or gold tinsel body. These simple flies were popular go to flies in that region of Fl. for many years. Jack Crevalles, ladyfish, snook, lookdowns, mangroves (all common fish in the W Palm area) will take this style of fly.

Mr. Beckett....can you recommend hook sizes for the blonde use in that area? Have you ever used the inverted blonde where the hook will ride up instead of down?

PG how big do the lookdowns get ?? We caught one in the cast net while shrimping and we were amazed as we had never seen one

I would also find a local fly club. They usually have fly tying nights where you will learn loads of local info. Fly shops sometimes too, but I know Daves in Ft. Laud recently closed so I'm not sure where the closest is to you.