Fly Tying
flyfishiniowa

wood duck feathers

Feathers from just about any bird can be used, legal ones anyway, it just depends on the imagination of the tyer.

Blane

Ok Thanks I thought so don't have a lot of money so I got chickens and pigeons just getting into it wife not wanting to spend a whole lot ya know Lols

Iowa

That is a huge subject. I spent the day sorting wood duck feathers, mallard breast, and some white duck. My suggestion is to do a web search. It will,be real confusing at first as they are also called other names. I bought a DVD by Dave Brandt on tying Catskill style flies and he got me hooked on them. There is a lot of difference in quality too. They have kind of fallen out of popularity but are still tied on a lot of the classics. The price is crazy too, but I live in a migratory fly way and get a few each year. Check out YouTube and you can see Brant tie his BG Dunn and look up Quill Gordon and you can see the feathers there.

I shoot alot of wood ducks and use both the barred feathers for classic stuff, and the flank feathers that look like mallard flank. Also use the metallic wing feathers for wet wing flies. If you hunt I feel like you can have materials far beyond what you can buy. I've tied mallard curls into flies because I could. Good luck finding that in a store. The only feather I can say I haven't used is trying to collect my own CDC, but I plan on at least attempting it come fall. Once you start a collection of feathers and fur, try dying them. The cheapest way is just unsweetened kool aid and vinegar. Seems wierd, works awesome.

I see a lot of money and time being spent. My daddy always told me, a good pool player is a sign of skill, and excellent pool player is a sign of a mispent life. Not sure where he got that from or if it was original.

Even though I have put the time and money into fly tying I am still not "excellent":).

All kidding aside, it is a great hobby and the by product is even more fun.

Wood duck feathers in a fly pattern are usually the barred lemon yellow flank feathers with or without the black tips.

WD1.jpg

woodduck.jpg

The most famous is the Hornberg, from my state of Wisconsin:

Hornberg_88_pg.jpg

This is a good site for exotic feathers too and the quality is excellent. But the price for the woo duck is crazy. My best source has come from auctions on Flea Bay. I buy the lot of whatever it is, take out the wood duck and relist the rest and try to recoop what I paid for it.