Fly Tying

I am more of a nymph fisherman, so that is why went with the swivle to try. I cast my size 14 march brown catskill style dry out and never had an issue. But this fly does have a bit more hackle than most.

I tied them on all my girlfriends leaders because her knotting ability was eating them back to stumps in just a day with all the tippet changes. I tried them this past weekend on my own rig, but for nymphing rigs and some creative droppers. It was OK, but if you're good with your knots it's not too much of a game changer. Does save your leader from frequent tippet replacement though, I will give you that. I also did have the problem of brookies hitting the tippet ring during a midge hatch, which makes me think of just using a hook eye as my tippet ring... Just joking... kind of...

I tried one last trip and promptly had a not form with my tippet and leader around the ring. Probably due to my sloppy casting but I had to cut it off and didn't put another on. No verdict yet from me.

Just last night I had a tippet ring failure. On my sinking line I had exposed the nylon mono core and spliced a tippet ting in. I caught a bush and had to pull for a break. When I tied in my new leader gave it a firm tug. The core broke around the ring.This is only the second time I have used the line since doing this. I put it down to wear between the nylon core and the metal ring.

Since then I have learned how to make a spliced loop in a fly line. I'll give that a go now.

Cheers,

C.

In theory it should work as good as a hook eye. I will give it a try a few more times and see how it goes. I know it is much easier to tie a new tippet to the leader standing in the stream than to tie a new tippet ring on.

I bought some and then became apalled at my dimness. No way my stubby fingers and cloudy eye sight are going to meet that challenge even in ideal, home, conditions much less on stream. Same reason I do not use pocket lint flies -- #22s on down.

Gues I'll just stick with the loop to loop leader-tippet connections that have worked fine for me for over 50 years.

I don't tweet either.

Rocco

In theory it should work as good as a hook eye. I will give it a try a few more times and see how it goes. I know it is much easier to tie a new tippet to the leader standing in the stream than to tie a new tippet ring on.

I bought some and then became apalled at my dimness. No way my stubby fingers and cloudy eye sight are going to meet that challenge even in ideal, home, conditions much less on stream. Same reason I do not use pocket lint flies -- #22s on down.

Gues I'll just stick with the loop to loop leader-tippet connections that have worked fine for me for over 50 years.

I don't tweet either.

Rocco

First, always use tippet which has less breaking strength than the end of your leader- and tie very strong knots. That way when something breaks, it SHOULD be the tippet below the ring, not the leader above the ring.

Second, keep your tippet rings threaded onto a safety pin, pinned to your vest, shirt, hat, lip, or whatever. If you do end up needing to tie on another tippet ring, leave it threaded on the pin while you are tying it on. That way you have something to hold on to while you're tying the knot and tightening it. it is almost impossible to tie on a tippet ring without it being threaded onto something. Holding it in small pliers can cause a sharp edge to form which could cut any knot.

I'm finding tying on tippet rings a real pain. I've been tying them on 5X tippet using an improved

clinch knot. There's got to be an easier way.

Randy

Come on guys, you tie the ring on the leader at home before you go fishing, add a little UV set glue to the knot just for insurance. Then when you get on the water you simply tie the tippet you are going to use to the ring. If you can tie on a fly you can tie the tippet to the ring. How big a fly do you think has a 2.15 mm eye?

Steve

I have to say tying on at home is good advice but I also agree they can be a pain. Often my leader slips on them. I think it is due to the rings being narrow discs rather than rounder like a hook eye. I use a very well lubricated grinner or Palomar knot for my ring and then some aquasure over that.

String about 20 inches of mono through the ring. Double this over and use it to hold the ring, as if it WAS a fly you were tying to. THis makes it much easier to tie your line to these small rings or snaps, rather than trying to hold the ring in a pair of pliers or with your hand.

store them on a swivel or safety pin

FTS-Tippet-Rings-12Kg.png

use a different shape

if you still cant tie a knot to them, then they were not meant for you to use

I started using tippet rings last year and think they are great. Like shown in the video, I cut about 2' off my leader and reconnect it on my tying desk. All my leaders have tippet rings. The 2mm is a bit too small for my eye sight and the 3mm is nice but the next pack I buy will be the 2.5mm. I think Orvis is selling them in that size.