Fly Tying
FlyTieDad

How do you keep track of your material?

Everyone seems to have too much time on their hands.

Solution keep tying until your inventory is more manageable.

Or lastly make donations to this poor old vet smile.png

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="jacktjl" data-cid="542175" data-time="1362790217"><p>

I have a computer<br />

I have a list of materials in the computer in excel<br />

<br />

each material is in a bag<br />

each bag has a number<br />

I have bins<br />

each bin has a number<br />

all materials in bags with the same number go in the bin with that number.<br />

<br />

When I need to find a material I look at the list in the computer or the printout and go to the bin to find it.<br />

<br />

It works great. I only need to put a material back in the bin so I can find it next time. Occasionally I buy new materials. I put it in a bag, put a number on it put it in the computer and throw it in the bin. <br />

<br />

I do try to keep it simple in the categories so ultimately I really don't spend more than a few minutes updating the list per year. I guess I don't end up buying too much. What fun is that? Forget what I just wrote.</p></blockquote>

I like this. I'm going to try it.

Label what you put in the shelf you have. or find some big tubes and put all the hackle in one tube or Big box and put all hackle that isn't lose in that tube. lose hackle i put them in zip-lock bags witch i have tons of. i Put my fur and patches in a other tube. the small stuff i store in a shelf i have this organizer 3 on each side is a drawer of packets of small thing like beads and small feathers. there are meany ways just think what is best for you

I have a wooden mechanic's tool box that I got for Christnas 1 year.

It has some different sized drawers and really isn't big enough so I got a couple of 5 drawer wooden boxes from Ikea.

To keep inventory of what I have I use FlySource version 1.09.

Besides giving you a listing and picture of all of your downloaded flys it can keep track of your materials so long as you put the effort into it to keep it up to date, just like with the Flys.

It's an XML program by Kevin Umbach and can be difficult to find on the Net.

But, smart people can always find a way.