Fly Tying
Fish For Life

Making popper bodies

I am wanting to try my hand at making some popper bodies. I want to make a variety of sizes from small bass popper to something pretty big for pike and musky. Im wanting to make the bodies out of foam and balsa. Does anyone make there own popper bodies? If so how? What are the steps involved into making the bodies. Where do you buy your foam and balsa for making the bodies. Also how do you attach the bodies to the hook.

Thanks

I make my own popper bodies from flip-flops. I put a hole punch of the desired size, that I bought from Harbor Freight, in a drill press. I put a piece of wood under the flip-flop so I don't damage the punch. Turn on the drill and go to work. You can get a hundred or so bodies from a pair of flip-flops in just a minute or two.

Just yesterday I bought some blue flip-flops for 30 cents. White ones can easily be colored with a permanent marker or paint.

After cutting the bodies out, I use the Krebs popper method.

Gary Krebs sells a small wooden fixture for cutting the front face, back taper and piercing leg holes. It works like a charm and all the poppers are exactly alike. A slit is then placed in the belly of the popper and the hook is superglued in place. Rubber legs can be pulled through the body and feathers or whatever added to the hook.

They are fast, simple and THEY WORK!

I made my own out of poplar dowl. I drill a hole down the middle, mount it onto a screw, put that into a drill chuck, then mount the drill into a bench vice, make sure it's tight and the screw is fairly centre.

I am wanting to try my hand at making some popper bodies. I want to make a variety of sizes from small bass popper to something pretty big for pike and musky. Im wanting to make the bodies out of foam and balsa. Does anyone make there own popper bodies? If so how? What are the steps involved into making the bodies. Where do you buy your foam and balsa for making the bodies. Also how do you attach the bodies to the hook.

Thanks

Your questions indicate you haven't bothered to use the FTF search feature or the database. If you had, you'd know there are a lot of members who make their own poppers and there's plenty of instruction in numerous threads. You've asked for enough information to fill a book, when you could easily find it yourself with a little effort.

I like using the mid-weight balsa but have to order it from Lone Star Balsa in Texas. The hobby stores carry the lightweight which can be made more durable by applying thin CA (superglue) to the finished shape prior to painting.

Check out my youtube channel for some hard foam popper body making videos, see the link below my signature. I make my hard foam poppers out of Comal floats.

Peter, I'm in the process of writing a popper/bug making book. I'm hoping to be finished by the end of the year and then the publisher will get it and I don't know how long they will take with it getting to press. I've got the text done for five chapters, just seven more left before I start the photographing parts of the step by steps. The challenge is going to be keeping it under the hundred pages the publisher said I shouldn't exceed to keep the book below $20 retail.

Kirk

Should be a great book. Loking forward to seeing it. Assume Kirk will let us know when it's out.

The challenge is going to be keeping it under the hundred pages the publisher said I shouldn't exceed to keep the book below $20 retail.

Kirk

So think of doing more then one book: Beginning - Intermediate - Advanced

or some variation on that theme.

I would like to have a copy too. Are you going to do a book sighning tour. We have a celeb amoungst us.

Put me on the list as well. Looks like I'll be going back to writing for Reel-Time again in the not-too-distant future, so I'll be sure to give it an unbiased (HAHAHAHAHAHA) review. My columns always get a lot of hits, thanks to my legions of enemies.

Thanks

Your questions indicate you haven't bothered to use the FTF search feature or the database. If you had, you'd know there are a lot of members who make their own poppers and there's plenty of instruction in numerous threads. You've asked for enough information to fill a book, when you could easily find it yourself with a little effort.

Maybe I am out of line being a noob on the site, but, responses like this are the reason I dont post much here. I tried to use the search feature with zero success, also tried to use the database that doesnt work. I even sent a pm to a mod about it and didnt get a response. So that is why you get questions like this. Just my 2 cents worth

Thanks

Maybe I am out of line being a noob on the site, but, responses like this are the reason I dont post much here. I tried to use the search feature with zero success, also tried to use the database that doesnt work. I even sent a pm to a mod about it and didnt get a response. So that is why you get questions like this. Just my 2 cents worth

That's to bad because there is a wealth of information on this site and much of it is hidden amongst posts that have already been made and discussed. Although there is no excuse for our resident mental patient, Peter, he was replying in earnest to actually help Fish For Life. He has been around for a long time and has seen many of these posts especially where making poppers is concerned. Peter himself is a wealth of knowledge. Sometimes using the search feature with acronyms you will have a problem.

There is a forum below for questions about using the forum if you didn't get a response from the admins where you will likely get some good answers.

Stippled, I'm just hoping to get one book done, no way I could do three. This one will be for all levels as I will discuss a variety of methods and techniques.

All others, I don't know how book sales work and signings and stuff like that. Don't know why anyone would want my signature but it is flattering; I'll keep ya'll posted. Signing tour would be fun, I only hope it garners that much interest. Man, a tour bus, groupies - I don't think I could handle that - oh wait, this is popper making, the groupies would be old crusty farts! On second thought...

Kirk