Fly Tying
Fish For Life

Making popper bodies

Ok this is a little different then forming the standard poppers but I am wondering if anyone has ever tried using a mold and any of the spray foams or the 2 part foams that are closed cell for boat making. I dont have access to the materials just wondering if any of you industrious inventors have tried this. I know this would be a little messy but once the mold was made you could replicate the exact same popper body every time like the store bought poppers.

I have, its not that bad but it is time consuming. Hilt molds use to make popper molds but no more. I wish i could find anyone looking to sell one. But you can make a mold with plaster using a popper you like then release the mold and go from there. www.makealure.com is a compound that allows you to make molds and lures as well. Good look with it and let us know how it goes.

I'm looking at working with some by-products from work and various sealers or expanding glues to see if it produces identical bodies. I'll let you know how it goes.

Ok this is a little different then forming the standard poppers but I am wondering if anyone has ever tried using a mold and any of the spray foams or the 2 part foams that are closed cell for boat making. I dont have access to the materials just wondering if any of you industrious inventors have tried this. I know this would be a little messy but once the mold was made you could replicate the exact same popper body every time like the store bought poppers.

Dale Clemens Tackle, and I believe Anglers Workshop, sold popper molds and 2-part expanding foam too many years ago. The resulting poppers were stated to be light and durable with a hard shell. Very much like the popper bodies available through Wapsi. I haven't seen those mold kits available in many moons.

I use a wood lathe to make my popper bodies. Using a screw center chuck (its a small face plate that with a single screw in the center) mount the wood usually tupelo gum or basswood. I usually start with 3/4 inch square stock about 3 in long, rough it with a gouge, then I cut 3 to 6 bodies using a skew chisel to shape them and to part them. takes less than a minute per body and requires very little sanding if the chisels good and sharp.

i can find plenty of it in 2mm and bigger but can only find a few suppliers for anything any thinner

The thinnest foam I've found has been at Dollar Tree. Believe it is 1.5 mm thick.

I use a wood lathe to make my popper bodies. Using a screw center chuck (its a small face plate that with a single screw in the center) mount the wood usually tupelo gum or basswood. I usually start with 3/4 inch square stock about 3 in long, rough it with a gouge, then I cut 3 to 6 bodies using a skew chisel to shape them and to part them. takes less than a minute per body and requires very little sanding if the chisels good and sharp.

I've got a lathe and tried turning medium weight balsa between centers planning on just leaving them connected and cut them apart but it blew up after just three shaped heads. I've been wanting to get a chuck so I can just mount a stick in one end; you're encouraging me to put it higher on my list.

Thanks,

Kirk

I've got a lathe and tried turning medium weight balsa between centers planning on just leaving them connected and cut them apart but it blew up after just three shaped heads. I've been wanting to get a chuck so I can just mount a stick in one end; you're encouraging me to put it higher on my list.

Thanks,

Kirk

Kirk I use something similar to this: http://www.oneway.ca/chucks/screw_chuck.htm the key to not splitting the stock off of the chuck is pre-drilling a center hole (just a little smaller than the screw) and not trying to make the piece too long. I waste the part of the wood the screw is in. I still break one off every now and then when i get over zealous and go for too deep a cut. Also there are several plans on the net for making your own screw chuck.

Do you want your popper heads to be not brittle and durable? Make them out of the soles of the plastic (foam) beach slippers. They are strong, multi-colored, and they float well!

The cylinders for the heads I cut with a set of metal shotgun shells (12, 16, 20, 28, and 36 gauges) with sharpened edge. The best glue for the hook for this flexible material is Aquaseal or Aquasure.

Thanks,

Kirk

Kirk I use something similar to this: http://www.oneway.ca/chucks/screw_chuck.htm the key to not splitting the stock off of the chuck is pre-drilling a center hole (just a little smaller than the screw) and not trying to make the piece too long. I waste the part of the wood the screw is in. I still break one off every now and then when i get over zealous and go for too deep a cut. Also there are several plans on the net for making your own screw chuck.

Interesting. I'm looking to get one of the four jaw chucks that grab the wood, a good friend recommended a Nova chuck. I'd be able to use to to turn other things. Thanks for the idea, hadn't seen anything like that before.

Kirk