Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Scuds!

Most folks are convinced that scuds are only to be found in coldwater (running water; streams and rivers), but after enough experiences pulling them up from lakes, I now use them in still waters, particularly if there is a windswept and rocky shore that intimates a higher oxygen content, and the thing I find is that I have trouble keeping fish OFF the hook!

I tie them curled normally, but after seeing a recent post here on FTF, I decided to add straightened scuds to the menu. These are all size 14 and weighted with wire.

post-63-0-07132200-1362789131_thumb.jpg

Have you caught a lot of panfish, bluegill, redear, crappie on your scuds? Also, is there any chance that the fish see those as mini-crayfish rather than a real scud? only because I'm not sure that scuds are common in most midwestern ponds and smaller lakes? Just curious on your thoughts.

Thanks,

I'm guessing they seem them as scuds since the grey is more effective than the tan on the area where I most find them, and the live scuds I caught were they typical grey color. I can't say for sure, but they DO outfish crayfish imitations!

I done really well on off white /cream/ tan colors especially in colder water when nothing else works. More gills and crappies and not as many bass will hit it.

Great flies, those would be good in the lake I fish, it has scuds and grass/ghost shrimps, buth of which can be imitated with this one fly!