Fly Tying
Piker20

Stripping basket

I been using a 3 gallon bucket ( the short version of a standard 5 gal. paint bucket ) with four small plastic funnels glued upside down on the bottom. It has more than met my needs and was very inexpensive to make,

PJ, never mind the basket, show me the beach where I just stand ankle deep and BANG fish on! And yep thats not waves LOL.

Used to be you could do that all up & down the East coast, from Maine to North Carolina - stripers will come right up to your feet chasing bait, and when they're in a frenzy, they'll whack just about anything if it's the appropriate size. Unfortunately, the striper fishery's pretty much down the tubes, and there are no plans in the works to rescue it. I've been quitting earlier and earlier every year - there just aren't enough fish to make it worth the effort. BTW - the fish in the video is a baby.

I made one in 10-15 minutes using 5 zipties, a drill, wire clippers and a lighter. I used the wire clippers to cut down the zip ties as they were longer than needed. Then I melted the cut tips to take the sharp pointy edge off.

FEEF3369-826D-4C99-93BB-2CC0B881DCDE-684

I use a Mangrove Hipshooter in the surf but, unfortunately, they stopped making them. I also made a couple like the above poster with a dish tub and zip ties; they work well. A buddy of mine had a good idea where he bought a pack of cheap paintbrushes, cut the brush part off, and used those as the spikes. It seemed to work very well since they have a tapered shape.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=67890&page=2&do=findComment&comment=510433 Steve (steeldrifter) awhile back posted something he made out of a laundry basket I think that he said works great

Golf tees are a good idea. Loads lying about on the courses next to the beach so cheap option too.

@ PIKER20 I have seen a basket made from a cheap small storage basket you could get in maybe Walmart for a few $ , then stick into bottom some of the nozzles you get with tubes of silicone ? ,( in UK we can but these as bulk from a builder supply as the ones you get never stop clogging up so a few spare are useful when using the silicon or adhesive ? , try drilling hole in base , maybe about 4 - 5 should do , and epoxy them in to basket , it DOES stop the line getting tangled in on itself ,

I have an article in an old fishing magazine I will have a look for it & can try scanning and email to you, if you want to send me a msg as not sure how to load a scan / photo onto the forum pages ??

BTW the one posted earlier looks good BUT for safety if you are wadding would suggest a lot of Draining HOLES , OR use a basket as opposed to a BOX .....trying to get up out of surf or a flowing river with a gallon of water round your waste is not much fun ! :-(

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=67890&page=2&do=findComment&comment=510433 Steve (steeldrifter) awhile back posted something he made out of a laundry basket I think that he said works great

Golf tees are a good idea. Loads lying about on the courses next to the beach so cheap option too.

@ PIKER20 I have seen a basket made from a cheap small storage basket you could get in maybe Walmart for a few $ , then stick into bottom some of the nozzles you get with tubes of silicone ? ,( in UK we can but these as bulk from a builder supply as the ones you get never stop clogging up so a few spare are useful when using the silicon or adhesive ? , try drilling hole in base , maybe about 4 - 5 should do , and epoxy them in to basket , it DOES stop the line getting tangled in on itself ,

I have an article in an old fishing magazine I will have a look for it & can try scanning and email to you, if you want to send me a msg as not sure how to load a scan / photo onto the forum pages ??

BTW the one posted earlier looks good BUT for safety if you are wadding would suggest a lot of Draining HOLES , OR use a basket as opposed to a BOX .....trying to get up out of surf or a flowing river with a gallon of water round your waste is not much fun ! :-(

Drain holes aren't gonna help you if you go down in a bad spot; there's no time to wait for the basket to drain. A quick release is your only recourse, which is why I use a bungee cord for a belt. You can instantly drop the basket with either hand. If you're using an actual basket or something with large holes, (in ocean surf or on jetties, etc. - inland rivers might be a different story) the wind and incoming water will make your life so miserable that you might as well forget about the basket and hold the coils in your free hand. The best way to prevent accidents is to use a little common sense and avoid situations that would put you in harm's way. I've lived and worked around salt water most of my life, and I've heard of very few serious accidents that weren't a result of inattention or carelessness.

Why do you need the golf tees in the bottom?

The golf tees (or any of the other zillion types of projections people use) in the bottom keep the loose line in loops rather than letting it just pile up. It helps prevent tangles. In a pinch, I've used a plain dishpan with no projections and it worked OK, but it works better with something to separate the loops. The idea of the basket is to be able to let the line shoot out on the cast, giving you a lot of distance you otherwise wouldn't get.

Thank you Freeflyfree. I recently bought a couple of those and made stripping baskets from them. Brilliant!

Cheers,

C

Great suggestion on the wire nuts ditz. I have used the zip ties but had some issues with them. Tried the golf tees and had to cut them down but then had them pop loose when the glue gave out. You can see where they were in the photo by the whiter dots.

So I went to Home Depot and got the larger blue size wire nuts ( 1.5" tall ) and found the right size stainless screws in my shed to attach them. Works the best yet for me. Total cost was less than $10 for everything.

They may not be pretty for the magazine photos but I wouldn't fish without mine.

post-44758-0-74676400-1369003082_thumb.jpg

I am glad it worked for you Salty.......I have recently aquired a basket and will shortly be heading to Home Depot for the large connectors since I don't think I have enough in my personal collection to do the posts. I have never used one but I am going to give it a try.

Saw a blog article where a guy used silicone fingers in the base of a well ventilated tub. He filled several replacement nozzles/tips with silicone, removed them from the tube and added a screw in the bottom opening and allowed them to dry. He then popped the dry finger out by pulling on the screw then attached them to the inside of the tub to make his fingers in the basket. He put a dab of fresh silicone on each base and attached the screws from the underside of the tub. It looked really good but I never heard back on how it worked.

i used a plastic did tub and drilled holes and put plastic golf tees and sanded the tips round. It works great!I have had it for a couple years. People here in utah look at me weird but i dont care lol

Well Finally got my finger out and picked up the stuff for my basket. The ikea stool is great shape to sit on your waist and I am now deciding between the golf tees and the more flexi stimmer nylon. I brought a cheap quick release webbing belt to hold it on and will probably use a solder iron to melt the slits for that to slide on.

I'll post a pic when I have it done.