Fly Tying
Piker20

ladders for fishing?

I thought this was a joke...But you guy's are serious??? I don't think that i could even handle watching something like that and you can forget about me even thinking of trying it...I have fallen off enough ladders in my day to know not to put one in the water. Sounds like yet another extreme-sport for fools with more time and money than common sense.

I thought this was a joke...But you guy's are serious??? I don't think that i could even handle watching something like that and you can forget about me even thinking of trying it...I have fallen off enough ladders in my day to know not to put one in the water. Sounds like yet another extreme-sport for fools with more time and money than common sense.

Thanks for putting it into perspective Doc. I was thinking along the same lines, but I've already filled my quota of pissing people off for the month of March, and figured there was no point in stirring anything up. I'd hate to get a reputation as a curmudgeon.

"Extreme-sport for fools with more time and money than common sense"? Hardly. Using a ladder is much cheaper, and arguably more effective than a boat where I fish. I'm sorry if standing on a ladder in the water (which is easier to do than standing on a ladder out of the water by the way...) scares you, but it's the only way to fish some places. Unless of course you don't mind standing chest deep in 32 degree water for 14 hours straight, and maxing out your cast at about 50 feet (you may as well stand on shore or stay home). There is a time and place for everything, it's just "common sense"!

Here is a video of a few friends and myself fishing from ladders on pyramid lake in Nevada, I hope it doesn't scare anyone! rolleyes.gif The fish were hanging out at a drop off about 100-200 yards from shore, hence the need for the ladders.

I really think this has to be divided up into a couple different categories. Fishing in a lake or flats with a semi solid bottom no problem. The ladder is no different then standing on the bottom. In the surf it is a totally different situation. I would not be on a ladder with waves crashing against it. I have been knocked on my but many times fishing by waves without being on a ladder.

Ok,ok, The girl in the chair/ladder makes me think i might enjoy watching... But i am too old and beat-up to even think about trying it.

Chest deep in 32 degree water sounds like a typical Spring trip in the Rockies to me...sadly i think those days are now behind me as well. And the truth is that i seldom cast out to 50 feet. Around here you need to learn the finesse of casting very lightly usually around 30-40 feet so that is about all i know. I have never had any interest in fishing the ocean...even less after a gal in my Corvette club was telling about her trip to (i think it was the Bahamas) where she caught one fish and had it taken by a shark that pulled her in. But i can see this being an Adrenalin junkies idea of a good time...just not mine. I haven't even seen an ocean in a couple of decades. The Colorado mountains are about all i know anymore.

About 20 years ago on the shore of Lake Ontario my friend and I were surprised to see someone doing this....so we nicknamed him "Step Stool Man." He probably caught more fish then we ever did.

Waves actually don't move much water, they're just a pressure wave moving through the water. This is why you don't get carried all the way to the shore if you don't "ride" it like a surfer. You can bob up and down and pretty much stay in one spot. But if you resist the motion, the pressure can knock you off your feet.

It actually might be easier to fish from a ladder, as the pressure of the wave meets much less resistance through the legs of the ladder than they do hitting the wider "front" of a person. How do you lessen the effect of a wave? You turn sideways, to present a narrower profile to the pressure. The legs of the ladder would present almost no resistance, so the wave would pass by with very little effect. If the legs were stuck into the sand down to the first rung, I would think this would be a fairly stable platform.

Let me know how you get on Mike. I'm busy tying pellet larvae imitations so don't have time just now.

LOL Piker ... I am setting up my twenty foot extension ladder at this very moment. I just have to figure out how to wade out to the 15 foot mark so I can climb up and stand out of the water for fishing.

Maybe a set of stilts?

That's ok so long as there's no sawfish. Thinking about it ladders and electric rays/eels don't mix either.